UKC

Yosemite access October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murcantile 26 Jul 2016
Am planning trip to Bishop for bouldering Oct 8th to Nov 8th.

Fly into San fran then Train/Bus to Yosemite for a look around then Bus down to Bishop then south to Vegas and fly back to uk after winning back the cost of the holiday on the slots.

Anyone been to Yosemite October time, What is the access like with Snow?

Should it be early enough before the passes get blocked?

Ta
In reply to Murcantile:

I went to Yosemite in October in the late 1990's. It was so hot that the big walls hardly got climbed that season as everyone was running out of water.

Al
 jon 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

> Fly into San fran then Train/Bus to Yosemite for a look around then Bus down to Bishop

Not sure I understand the 'bus down to Bishop' bit.

October is usually perfect for Yosemite. The Tioga pass can get shut down due to snow but usually opens again. Tuolumne can be perfect but cold (or of course too cold) but campsites are closed.
 philhilo 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Best to check out online info, but like all weather its going to vary from year to year. Sep - Oct is the late season with storms starting to move in. Be surprised if major snow was the issue, major rain maybe.
OP Murcantile 26 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

>Not sure I understand the 'bus down to Bishop' bit.

Didn't fancy aid climbing onto piss covered ledges this time.

Though it looks like its Cheaper to Fly into LAX anyway but might try get up to Yosemite for a look around,
 PaulTanton 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:
October is tradionally big wall season. Not too hot. I've been in mid/late September and it felt perfect for climbing. Most of the Tourists have gone or not bothering to tour in September/October.
The Meadow could be shut down. We had snow in September up there once.
I'd say it would be a good time in the Valley
OP Murcantile 26 Jul 2016
In reply to PaulTanton:

Thanks, booking flights today and it's cheaper for me to go to LAX and head up to bishop from there. I will then try to get up to Yosemite from that direction, but main purpose of this trip of this trip is Bishop.

jon 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

> >Not sure I understand the 'bus down to Bishop' bit.

> Didn't fancy aid climbing onto piss covered ledges this time.

I meant it's a bit more than a 'bus down to Bishop'.
 PaulTanton 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:
Ok, Owens River Gorge is good if you like full on Sport Climbing
 timjones 26 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

> I meant it's a bit more than a 'bus down to Bishop'.

There is definitely a YARTS service that runs over to Mammoth Lakes, I'm guessing that it should be possible to pick up a service to Bishop somewhere along that route.
 dagibbs 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

The valley will be fine. Tuolumne meadows will be chillier and might get snow, especially later. Passes might get snow -- but should clear within a day or two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...