UKC

Outer Hebrides Guide by Anderson and Howett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the abmmc 26 Jul 2016
Anyone have an idea of when this new guidebook is coming out? SMC/SMT pages indicate it's been in production for what seems like ages.

Tom
 Andy Nisbet 26 Jul 2016
In reply to the abmmc:

It's been in production for around 15years actually. Most of it has been written, but who knows.
OP the abmmc 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Cheers Andy, I've only been aware of the status for about two years, so just a beginner really.
 Michael Gordon 29 Jul 2016
In reply to the abmmc:

I would buy the Gary Latter guide (Vol. 2) if planning on a trip there.
 Jon Stewart 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I think the Gary Latter guide is an abomination.
 Michael Gordon 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hi Jon, I haven't used it in the Outer Isles, have you? It does have a lot more stuff there and is much more up to date than the 'current' SMC one. I found the guide pretty good for some other areas.
 Bulls Crack 30 Jul 2016
In reply to the abmmc:

Thought for a moment this was a new Yes album until I spotted the 2 t's
OP the abmmc 30 Jul 2016
In reply to the abmmc:

The first edition of the Gary Latter guide was not great for me or my partner when we were climbing on Lewis and Harris, but don't know about the 2nd edition. Will check it out, thanks Michael Gordon.
 Michael Gordon 30 Jul 2016
In reply to the abmmc:

Have a good look but there may not be much difference.
 Jon Stewart 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Didn't serve us well on Lewis. Whole crags we couldn't find (by following landmarks such as "short cropped grass"), any routes without photos were not locatable...
 Robert Durran 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Seems harsh. Guide works fine for me on Lewis.
 Jon Stewart 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

At Dalbeg for example, we only did Limpet and Neptune because we couldn't find anything else! OK, we did find another good looking zawn with the 2-pitch E3s, which looked good, but couldn't locate anything else that looked any good. There must be lots of good climbing there...?
 Robert Durran 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:
There are loads of routes crags and areas not in GL's guide if that's what you mean. It is pretty selective.
Post edited at 19:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...