UKC

Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT or Nordisk Oppland 3 LW?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnhills1978 26 Jul 2016
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice please. I was almost convinced to shell out a lot of money for a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for my wife and I on our 7 month trip to South America. Then I saw the Nordisk Oppland 3 LW which is cheaper, more spacious and lighter. As people have said on other forums, it's hard to get good advice in English on Nordisk tents so I'm hoping someone on here can help.

The key thing for us is that the tent has to stand up to the potential rains and 60mph winds in Torres del Paine in January. It won't see worse weather than that on this trip. I also don't want the tent to be too heavy as I'll be carting it around on my back for months.

While I've done a lot of research, I am open to ideas if anybody has any. I ruled out MSR tents as I don't like the idea of setting up an inner tent first in the rain. I know lots of people don't find that to be a problem but that's the decision I've made! I also considered the Tarptent Scarp2 which looks great value if a little small. I guess I don't mind spending a bit more on something that I know does everything I want it to and does it well.

All of which is a very round about way of asking what's better about the Hilleberg than the Nordisk? I'd really like to spend less money and carry round 1kg less but you don't usually get something for nothing...

Cheers,

John
nutility 27 Jul 2016
In reply to johnhills1978:
Hi John for whats it worth the lack of a high vent on rear of the Nallo GT meant it didnt ventilate well in my experience. I used a Fjallraven Abisko 3 GT for last year which was similar and performed really well. I fancy the Nordisk too but havent used it, my only observation in the shop was the poles seemed a little spindly compared to Hill and Fjallraven, id maybe look at the 2016 Fjallravens with similar designs. the Hilly Nammatj 2 GT is probably the best overall in my opinion but could be too heavy ?
Andrew
> Hello all,

> I'm looking for some advice please. I was almost convinced to shell out a lot of money for a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for my wife and I on our 7 month trip to South America. Then I saw the Nordisk Oppland 3 LW which is cheaper, more spacious and lighter. As people have said on other forums, it's hard to get good advice in English on Nordisk tents so I'm hoping someone on here can help.

> The key thing for us is that the tent has to stand up to the potential rains and 60mph winds in Torres del Paine in January. It won't see worse weather than that on this trip. I also don't want the tent to be too heavy as I'll be carting it around on my back for months.

> While I've done a lot of research, I am open to ideas if anybody has any. I ruled out MSR tents as I don't like the idea of setting up an inner tent first in the rain. I know lots of people don't find that to be a problem but that's the decision I've made! I also considered the Tarptent Scarp2 which looks great value if a little small. I guess I don't mind spending a bit more on something that I know does everything I want it to and does it well.

> All of which is a very round about way of asking what's better about the Hilleberg than the Nordisk? I'd really like to spend less money and carry round 1kg less but you don't usually get something for nothing...

> Cheers,

> John

OwenM 27 Jul 2016

Tarptent and Hilleberg are about as far apart as you can get in respect to strength. Tarptents are very light but wouldn't be my choice for 60mph winds and heavy rain. Hillebergs are bombproof because they're built like a tank, but they're not light. Not used Nordisk tents.
 Slarti B 27 Jul 2016

I have had the Oppland 3 SI which is heavier that the the LW (probably same as Nallo 3 GT?), for a couple of years. A great tent for 2 people with plenty of space and very easy to put up quickly.

It has been through a couple of very heavy rain storms with no problem except that, if you open the side door, water can drip from the outside roof onto the footprint ( if you have one). Hasn't been subjected to 60 mph winds though so cant comment on that.

I am very happy with it and was half price of Nallo
Removed User 27 Jul 2016
In reply to OwenM:
I've got a Nallo 3 GT (and had an Akto) and it's very light for its size and strength. Hilleberg do a range of weights depending on your needs. A couple of friends recently skiied across Greenland and they had Hillebergs which looked like Nallos but were very much heavier and correspondingly stronger.
Post edited at 19:24
johnhills1978 27 Jul 2016
Thanks for your replies everybody, much appreciated. I am now interested in the Fjallraven tents too. What initially seemed like a simple problem, i.e. buy a tent, has proved to be less so. How did people manage before the internet?! Probably less procrastination at least...
 TobyA 27 Jul 2016

I really think that the whole "putting an inner-first tent up in the rain" thing is over blown. That's not to say Hilleberg aren't good tents - I've camped in some pretty extreme places in friends and have been impressed, but I wouldn't discount inner first for just that reason. They tend to have better tension in geodesic designs and be stronger as result.

I've got an MSR Hubba - I wouldn't recommend it for awful weather for various reasons, but the inner first thing isn't one of them. I'd be quite happy to try an MSR tent which isn't mainly mesh on the inner in tougher conditions, because my Hubba is well made and designed in other ways.

How about an almost New Fjallraven Abisko Liteweight 2
Used handful of times £500 Tent Roomy 2man big Porch
Only 2.4kg £265

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...