UKC

Bishop - October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hamad 27 Jul 2016
Hi,

I am planning a trip top Bishop in October and i had a few questions about the place.

How easy is it to meet climbing partners there?
Whats the best place to stay at and meet partners? Has anyone stayed at Toms place resort?
Would you be sensible for me to take my sport climbing gear with me (i hear the sport climbing is good at Owen's River Gorge)?
More importantly, can i buy a crash pad there/hire one?

Thanks

spenser 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Hamad:

I can't help on the front of any of your questions, however I do have a month to take off work which will fall in between mid september and christmas. If you are stuck for partners we could possibly do a bit of climbing together beforehand and take things from there? I was more looking at Arapiles but plans are flexible at present.
How long were you thinking of going for?
 AJM 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Hamad:

If you stay at the hostel California you can borrow pads, otherwise you can hire from the shops in town.

I didn't go to Owens, although a bunch of people staying at the hostel did. I thought about it but figured I had world class bouldering or OK sport climbing to do and figured why fly across the Atlantic for anything but the best. I gather it's easier on the skin though which might be a consideration.

As for partners, you can probably just float around the boulders and join in with people if you're the social type, everyone was very friendly; other than that I suspect the coffee shop, the hostel or the campsite are the best bet. Toms place is a way out of town isn't it?
 jon 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Hamad:

Tom's Place is 25 miles from Bishop.
Wilson's Eastside Sports http://eastsidesports.com/eastside/ is the climbing shop in Bishop. Put a notice on the board there for partners. I'd say (though not from experience) it'd be easy to find someone.
Owens River Gorge is a bit Marmite. I really like it, but then I'm not a boulderer.
Hamad 27 Jul 2016
In reply to AJM:

Hi AJM, thanks for the useful tips!

I checked out hostel california and it looks like a great place that suits me...just looking for a comfortable bed, warm showers and a social atmosphere.

I did my uni in the US, so it will be easy to get around and meeting folks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...