UKC

Sardinia Non-climbing Query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 27 Jul 2016
Off to Cala Gonone on Tuesday with the family; not to climb, just a family holiday. We've hired a car so can get around. What do folks recommend there? Any must see places, hidden gems, nice walks, best beaches, agriturismos etc. We haven't got much money, so recommendations for somewhere nice and cheap to eat in CG would be most welcome.

I'm thinking of hiring a bike for the day - I've emailed a place in Cala Gonone about it but haven't had a reply. Anyone done any cycling there and have any advice.

Thanks in advance.
OP Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

UKC can't let me down!
 kingborris 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

the walk to gola gorropu is pleasant, and the gorge at the end is pretty spectacular
 ThomSank 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

you can walk to cala luna (maybe about two hours with children?), then take back the boat to cala fuili (or the other way around..)

spiaggia berchida (check google maps) is beautiful, about one hour by car from cala gonone

there are a couple of affordable pizzerias in cala gonone
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Not sure where you would go on bike, i.i.r.c. Cala Gonone is at the bottom of a very big hill,

Chris
 timjones 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Off to Cala Gonone on Tuesday with the family; not to climb, just a family holiday. We've hired a car so can get around. What do folks recommend there? Any must see places, hidden gems, nice walks, best beaches, agriturismos etc. We haven't got much money, so recommendations for somewhere nice and cheap to eat in CG would be most welcome.

> I'm thinking of hiring a bike for the day - I've emailed a place in Cala Gonone about it but haven't had a reply. Anyone done any cycling there and have any advice.

> Thanks in advance.

If you like historic sites Serra Orrios nuragic village is great, if you fancy a it more walking Tiscali is a lovely walk and quite spectacular when you get there.
OP Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thanks everybody - much appreciated.

Chris - riding up the hill is kind of the point! I'm a far better cyclist than I am a climber (although that's not too difficult)
 Simon80 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Drive to Capo Testa in the north-west of the island for a day, it's spectacular and some of the best beaches in the world in my opinion.Amazing granite for climbing too!
 BnB 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The lukewarm response to your polite request should confirm what you must now realise:

Shoulda gone to Corsica

Still, l'ile de beaute will be visible from atop one of Sardinia's miserable little hillocks

There's some nice beaches so you'll have a good trip I'm sure. Be warned: not cheap
 wintertree 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Not sure where you would go on bike, i.i.r.c. Cala Gonone is at the bottom of a very big hill,

There's a nice loop up the hill and back past the big cave and down the old cement road - almost car free - into Cala Gonone. 1 litre of water is however insufficient!
 wintertree 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The "Nuraghe" - ancient buildings - are worth visiting. One on the main climb out of town and plenty more around.

The cycling loop I mention elsewhere.

Tourist caves nearby.

Hire a motorboat and head along the coast stopping at beaches. Last person had to anchor at sea and swim ashore, and you need to row when close to the shore. Or the kayakers may kill you.

A nice walk along the coast to the north. Some good spurting zawns. Lovely walk to Cala Luna to the south.

Didn't think much of the lakes - somewhat stale water out of wet weather season.

Ice cream shops!
 IPPurewater 28 Jul 2016
 John Mcshea 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hi Yanis,
You can hire a rib from around the harbour, it's around £80- £100 for the day with fuel. Awesome way to see the beautiful coast and climbing. Boats are easy to drive, just make sure its a calm sea state, don't bother is if it's even a little choppy. Have a good trip,
Jb.
OP Yanis Nayu 29 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

> The lukewarm response to your polite request should confirm what you must now realise:

> Shoulda gone to Corsica

> Still, l'ile de beaute will be visible from atop one of Sardinia's miserable little hillocks

> There's some nice beaches so you'll have a good trip I'm sure. Be warned: not cheap

Ha! There's always another time!
OP Yanis Nayu 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thanks everybody - really appreciate your help)))

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...