UKC

LAX to Bishop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murcantile 28 Jul 2016
Doing the drive up from LAX to Bishop, anything worth seeing on the way up, or back down.

Offwidth 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:
Once out of LA almost everything... if I had to choose a few take a side trip to Idylwild and Tahquitz/Suicide cross to Joshua Tree and drive up through the backcountry Mojave Desert route to Vegas and have a look at Red Rocks next door..
Post edited at 16:48
OP Murcantile 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Was thinking about Vegas, Red rocks then across Death valley to Bishop or coming back that way. Not sure I want to cart around my rack, but will probably change my mind. India creek still on the list, love the crack!

Not so bothered about Joshua tree though.
 Robert Durran 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

> Was thinking about Vegas, Red rocks then across Death valley to Bishop or coming back that way. Not sure I want to cart around my rack, but will probably change my mind. Indian creek still on the list, love the crack!

In that case forget Bishop and just go to Indian Creek (and Moab area) via Red Rocks. On the way and way back you can take in the Mojave, Death Valley and several NP's in Utah (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands.
 london_huddy 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

I'd follow Robert's advice, although the Sierras and Tetons are stunning.
It's a bit toasty in Bishop at the moment, around 42 deg c this week.

Offwidth 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

There is really good bouldering at J Tree and Red Rocks if that is what you are planning. Part of the recommenadtion is just the drive which is stunning in places.
 Robert Durran 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> ............ several NP's in Utah (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands.

In fact you could take in those four on the way and swing back via Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon.

GHawksworth 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

> Not so bothered about Joshua tree though.

I went to JT and Yosemite in May/June. JT is truly incredible and often underrated.
Sail Away (5.8) beautiful hand size splitter, 9/10 would climb again.

Also, if you are considering Red Rocks or Josh then look at weather and climate for when you go, it easily gets too hot to climb.

If you like your beers, I highly recommend going to the Mammoth Lakes Brewing Co. if you head that way from Bishop. Its also very beautiful between those two places!

Have an awesome trip! CA is awesome!
 timjones 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

Id recommend spending a day or two in the Lone Pine area, climbing in the Alabama Gills and Whitney Portal.

The breakfast at the Lone Pine Cafe is a must do
 yodadave 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Murcantile:

J Tree is amazing but far too hot at this time of year. Bishop might be too hot as well.
bomb up the I-5 and go to Yosemite, great bouldering in shady groves.
Then go up and over Tuolmne and down to Bishop.

If you are looking to boulder Yosemite seems the most realistic at this time of year.
In LA itself and fairly close to the airport is Stoney Point. You can chase shade there and its historically significant. Also a big gear shop down the road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...