UKC

NEWS: FRIDAY NIGHT VID: GREAT WIDE OPEN: Episode 1 - The Conquistador

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Jul 2016
tommy caldwell, 3 kbOur Friday Night Video this week is a beautifully filmed piece by actor, singer-songwriter and director Jared Leto. With stunning cinamatography Leto documents Tommy Caldwell's past, his and Keven Jorgeson's historic ascent of The Dawn Wall and life and climbing in the wake of it.

Read more
 Mike Highbury 29 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News: Would it be unkind to remark that videos vary in merit?

jon 29 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

More about the film maker than Tommy, I thought. Presumably part two might be better in that respect. And why is vocal fry such an essential part of American speech now? Grumpy? Yes, I've been assembling Ikea wardrobe doors. Or not. Grrr.
 danm 29 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Once I got past the cultural differences (most American things seem pretty cheesy to us cynical Brits), I liked it. Tommy is such an inspirational character and the film is beautifully shot. A nice change from the usual send-fest kinds of film.
 olddirtydoggy 29 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Aside from the hostage reference, which I was hoping he'd comment on, it was lacking a bit for me personally.
 olddirtydoggy 29 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Check out part 2 called dirtbag, it's a much better 15 minutes. Excellent and Leto was great too.
In reply to UKC News:

Beautifully shot, and distinctly lacking in direction. Is it about Tommy? Is it about Jared learning to climb? Is it about the national parks? And way more talking than climbing. The problem was it didn't really focus on any of these things so for 14 minutes you're waiting for it to get to the point, and there is no point.
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I rather liked the fact that it had no great point - apart from finding challenges and having fun in the mountains.
 jsmcfarland 31 Jul 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

what is it with the hostage thing that people are so fascinated about?
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Agreed, Dirtbag was much better!
 Billg 31 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely light film. But we need to get sherlock to investigate the case of the disappearing hand rail at 13:30......
 bouldery bits 31 Jul 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> The problem was it didn't really focus on any of these things so for 14 minutes you're waiting for it to get to the point, and there is no point.

Just like going climbing then :p
 philhilo 02 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great bit with Tommy, but all the stuff blowing smoke up Jareds a**e was grim. I hope Tommy made some wad out of it. I guess climbers weren't the audience. Not sure part 2 was much better for a climbing audience, but if climbers can make some $$$$ massaging rock/movie stars egos and getting some useful exposure for themselves then great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...