UKC

Busted front mech repair bodge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 01 Aug 2016
The front mech on the bike I use as my commuter/run around has broken at the front*. meaning you can change from small to large cog but not back unless you use your heel. Not safe doing this in rush hour.

Is there a way to bodge a fix until shop has the mech in stock and able to replace on the bike?
Cheers

* think of the front mech as an oblong. The top right has become detached.
 The Potato 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

Without knowing what's broken I can't comment other than don't bother shifting
 balmybaldwin 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

You mean the cage has split? if so you could weld it carefully if you've got the kit - doubt there's a glue that would to it. You may be able to splint it some how...hard to know without seeing it.

Your best bet is to single speed it at the front. Choose a cog and stick with it - just shift at the back.
Rigid Raider 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

Use the limit screw to set it on the middle or big ring and just shift at the rear.
 gethin_allen 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

As others have said, use the adjusters to set it permanently in one position or the other.

Saying this, I can't see it taking any reasonable bike long to get a front mech for you, most would have a few in stock and changing it is a five minute job.
 Timmd 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:
There might be some kind of 'No More Nails' gunky stuff you could use to squash into the gap/break in the cage, and press the two ends together into the gunky stuff to make a repair.

It depends if you can be fussed with finding a workable fix in the end, or whether you're happy enough with using fewer gears for a bit.

If I've understood where the broken bit is correctly that is...
Post edited at 22:04
 a crap climber 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

You could try drilling a few holes then binding it together with some wire, though I suspect this wouldn't be particularly effective and probably more effort than it's worth.
Removed User 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

According to your profile you live in London? You don't really need many gears as there aren't any proper hills. Just pick a front ring and stick with it.
 Co1in H 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:
Unless it's a wierd mech your local bike repair shop should be able to get it next day and a really good shop would do it whilst you wait. Ok you may have to pay a bit more for the service, but I expect that it would be worth it.
OP Indy 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Removed User:

I can get the mech thats not a problem it's the logistics of the cycle shop being able to fit me in to the workshop and me finding a suitable time to take it in. Am looking to change the rear cassette (smallest cog completely worn) and possibly the front crank which complicates things.

Am finding I can spin the small front cog out easily and am a bit worried that using the large cog a the front with largish at the back is putting the chain at funny angles when starting from traffic lights.
 balmybaldwin 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

If you are changing the cassette anyway you will need a new chain (otherwise the old one will in a matter of hours ruin the new cassette) so don't worry about it (this thing about worry about using angles is over blown)
 Timmd 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:
You could just use the middle ring at the front and then most of the gears at the back if you worried about funny
angles?

If you can get the front mech yourself, it's not too difficult to fit a new front mech and cranks and rear cogs.

If you can place trad gear and set up a belay and that kind of thing, bike gears aren't much more complicated, it's
just a different way of thinking as it were.

For me it seems to be as much about quieting the little voice in my head which says 'argh' as it as about grasping
something new. Things always seem easier once I've stopped thinking 'argh'.
Post edited at 18:11
OP Indy 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

It's a double....

Have thought about doing it myself but checking on YouTube shows that I'd need to buy a number of tools i.e chain tool and to be honest as I use the bike so much its easier to just drop it off at a bike shop and have them do it all inc. service to pick up in the afternoon.
 PPP 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Except the fact that climbing gear can withstand enormous abuse compared to bikes (and their parts) being fairly fragile... At least that's my problem, things break too easily.

On the other hand, going 1x is a fun thing to do, isn't it?
 Timmd 02 Aug 2016
In reply to PPP:
> Except the fact that climbing gear can withstand enormous abuse compared to bikes (and their parts) being fairly fragile... At least that's my problem, things break too easily.

Of course it can, but it's just as logical in a practical sense is my point, things get pushed and pulled or go round and round and that's about it. Most things are a variation on that. I don't want to seem like I'm showing off about finding it fairly straight forward though.

> On the other hand, going 1x is a fun thing to do, isn't it?

Possibly, or perhaps not in Sheffield? I like my range of gears and the tiny steps between each one.
Post edited at 22:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...