UKC

Wales Sport climbing/bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chloe 01 Aug 2016
Hello,

Haven't been climbing in Wales much so would like some advice on the best sport climbing and bouldering there please? 6b-7c grade range for sport and a mix of bouldering.
 Anoetic 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Hi
North or south?
OP Chloe 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Anoetic:

Probably south
 whenry 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

In the Gower, Shipwreck Cove and Foxhole are both good; Dinas Rock has also got some great routes. I don't do much bouldering, so can't really recommend anything on that side.
 Paul Robertson 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

South Wales Mountaineering Club as a site with a lot of good quality and up-to-date information

http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/wiki/South_Wales_Mountaineering_...
 The Ivanator 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

There is a South Wales Sport guidebook being published this Autumn:
http://www.rockfax.com/news/2016/07/08/new-south-wales-sport-guidebook/
 Anoetic 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

For sport climbing stick to the Gower if you want a seaside location with great views. As mentioned Foxhole and Shipwreck are great, but also throw in minchen hole, watchtower, and trial wall. Take a look at the wiki mentioned above for more areas but southerndown should also be considered.
Bouldering in South Wales is limited outside Dinas, but if you are feeling strong bacon hole is an option.
 Rocknast 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Gower is simply awesome!
OP Chloe 19 Aug 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

Thanks, I'll be going at the end of August though. Is there a guidebook already out for Dinas Rock?
 Anoetic 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Take a look on the wiki, for the boulders I'd also view YouTube. The problems are very sequency
 Billg 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Gower, dinas and Ban y gor (Chepstow ) all have great sport routes in those grades. There are many other venues which are not quite as good but still worth visiting. Post on the south wales climbing page on Facebook for partners and you'll find people
 Billg 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

For the routes at Dinas check out the wiki mentioned above. Don't just look at Gower. . Its very beautiful but there are good routes at many other places. Where will you be based?
OP Chloe 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Billg:

Is there a topo somewhere? Will be based in Sennybridge
 stp 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Lots of info and topos at sportsclimbs.co.uk
 Billg 22 Aug 2016
In reply to Chloe:

The best topos are on the Southwales mountaineering club wiki (As others mentioned Gary Gibson's site Sportsclimbs.co.uk also has topos, but not as good.

When you arrive - post on here or message me. I live about 30 mins away near Crickhowell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...