UKC

Renfrewshire hillwalking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 01 Aug 2016
Last Wednesday I got lost on the way to Largs and ended up driving through Renfrewshire along back roads (lovely countryside) eventually ending up at Lochwinnoch. The hills looked, good, more shapely than I'd thought they were. Does anyone have any good walks they recommend? I'm not expecting pointy peaks and big cliffs but points of interest like waterfalls would be good.
 Brownie 01 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

Hi

try Garnock Spout, NS287608
Craig Minnan NS322641 for a bouldering session
Mine at 282649 is worth a nosey

But the hills are generally very wet and rough to walk

B
 CMcBain 01 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

I grew up in Lochwinnoch, I remember there being a nice hill with a little castle on the top just outside the village on the backroad to Bridge of Weir. Strangely I saw the little castle for the first time in years when driving from Glasgow to Ardrossan ... blast from the past. There is also a really curious boulder in a farmers field just off the same road - Clochoderick Stone#maps.

This thread reminded me of some fond memories growing up there, thanks! .
OP aln 01 Aug 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

I think that boulder's in John Watson's guide.
Gone for good 01 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:
There's some nice walking between the back of Largs and Lochwinnoch. Irish Law and Misty Law are the 2 high points I think.

http://www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk/things-to-do/walking/routes/irish-law/
Post edited at 22:55
 Colin Moody 01 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

I always thought the hills above Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie were flat and boring so we ended up looking at the old plane crashes on them.
Hills just to the south had more shape to them. Irish Law, Crosbie Hill and Kaim Hill.
Crosbie Hill has two ring cairns, I think one of them is very old. There are broken millstones on the west side of Kaim Hill.
There was an old pillbox near the road on Green Hill (south west of Kaim Hill).
 coinneach 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

My first ever " hillwalk" in Primary 7 I think, was up Misty Law.

Subsequently did my BB expedition badge in Muirsheil so happy memories!
OP aln 02 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

Thanks for the replies.
 Mikkel 03 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

When i moved to Scotland from Denmark i lived just north of Largs and one of my first walks was a little overnight trip to Hill of Stakes. You get some some nice viewa over the Firth of Clyde but also towards Glasgow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83246699@N00/albums/72157594332972198

Can do a nice walk by parking at the Sports Center in Largs and then up to the rocks then follow a path which eventually leads to a rock pool where people would often be jumping in.
 DaveHK 03 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

I grew up in Lochwinnoch and my folks still live there. The hills and moors offer solitude and some surprisingly good views, particularly over the Firth of Clyde and north towards the Arrochar Alps and Ben Lomond. Not much in the way of summit experience though and the going can be very rough indeed through heather and bog. A nice route taking in several of the features already mentioned would be to follow the track that starts from High Linthills above Lochwinnoch to Misty Law taking in Lairdside Hill on the way then drop down to the Garnock to see the spout and follow the river down past Garnock castle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...