UKC

Training Facilities in Luton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Morley 04 Aug 2016
I'll be working in Luton during the week and want to train without having to travel. As far as I can make out, the only climbing wall there was closed by the council some years ago. Are there any facilities at all in Luton relevant to climbing that anyone would care to recommend?

Also looking for a Monday to Friday room to rent on the West side of the town centre if anyone knows of one.
 cb_6 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Will you have a car? Because driving half an hour up the M1 to Big Rock in Milton Keynes would seem to be a good bet if there's nothing in Luton.
KevinD 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

I think you are out of luck.
With travel either cb-6 suggestion of milton keynes or catch one of the fast non stop trains into london
OP Andy Morley 04 Aug 2016
Is there a gym even?
KevinD 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Think they have a pure gym (fairly low cost short contract one) and I think a couple of others but try to avoid Luton where possible so cant say more than that. Just they dont have any walls there.
 Mark Collins 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

I used to live in Luton at the height of my climbing powers, yet things seem to have gotten worse if anything in this area, in terms of climbing facilities I'm afraid to say. I went to bedroc a few times, but this was a missing bricks facility and I think its the one you mention as closing down. I also ended up travelling to Coventry and back once a week to go to Bear Rock with a mate of mine. I think I also occasionally went to the Westway in London as well. Seem to remember that there was a scout camp out of town with a rudimentary man made outdoor climbing wall, that I visited once. Why on earth no one has built a modern facility there I have no idea. I understand that Guildford another commuter belt previous haunt of mine, now has three, but only had one when I was there.

Used to play 5-a-side at this place when it was the Vauxhall Gym, don't know what it's like now:
http://www.venue360.co.uk/lifelines-health-club/

If you like old pubs though, check out High Town and specifically the Bricklayers Arms, great memories.
OP Andy Morley 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:

Well weird though this may seem, I enjoyed the time I spent working in Slough way more than the time I worked in Maidenhead. So I expect great things of Luton....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...