UKC

new bike, is 29er the way to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi

I have decided to buy a new bike through my company ride to work scheme as the deal seems really good (though i don't intend to ride it to work regularly).

I am looking for a mountain bike that I can use for having a laugh on some local trails in the lakes as well as occasional cycle touring.

Looking on Halfords (I know they have a bad rep but they have a decent range of bikes in my price range) 2 bikes stand out to me

the first is a 29er:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-sulcata-mens-m...

and the second is a 27.5:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens...

both the same price and both seem a similar build. But I am leaning towards the 29er as I am 6ft 2 and I reckon the larger wheel fitted with less knobbly tires will be better for keeping up on a tour with my mates.

Is this theory about the larger wheel correct? Also what are peoples thoughts on the bikes themselves for the price?
Removed User 04 Aug 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner:
You are the same height as me. I'm a reluctant convert to 29 and I wouldn't go back.

If you only want to razz about trail centres and do things that require lots of maneuverability then consider a 27.5/650b. For rides in the hills and indeed into and out of the hills, and touring, (with the odd visit to trail centres if that's your thang) 29er every time.
Post edited at 21:03
 wbo 04 Aug 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner: im much shorter, but i really like my 29'er and i think it's the thing for you

In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for the reply's guys, so seems the 29er is ticking the boxes for what I want.

Must admit I was skeptical that wheel size would make a massive difference till I read into it! Seems like bike setup and preferences is a right minefield, having fun learning about it though.
 Dogwatch 05 Aug 2016

Cycle touring on a MTB?
 wbo 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:
> Cycle touring on a MTB?

Is very common. And I suspect he means quite short tours

Fat Bumbly2 05 Aug 2016
In reply to wbo:

There is also bikepacking. I tour on my MTB, opens up some good routes here in Scotland. Last time out however I has a rear tyre blow out. Unfortunately the nearby bike shop had only 26 and 29 tyres, leaving me at the mercy of punitive Highland public transport to get the replacement. Had a few availability issues elsewhere with my 27.5

I found 27.5 a big improvement on the 26 however, especially on rocky terrain.
 ThunderCat 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:

> Cycle touring on a MTB?

Well as a 6 foot 4 inch twenty stoner, I couldn't find a road bike that felt comfortable. They seemed a bit fragile, and I seemed to pop spokes every week or two.

I bought a 29 incher (Voodoo Bizango) via the cycle to work scheme and I largely use mine for commuting, and the odd 60 miler out into the peak district or thereabouts, knobbly tyres at all. Done a couple of long three / four day coast to coast bits in the past on MTB's and the glasgow to inverness ride over fout days without too much of a problem.

Got the 100 mile cheshire loop thing at the start of september as well.

In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Yeah I’m keen to use the bike to cover a bit more ground on camping trips and such.

I had heard about part shortages for 27.5 stuff… I am sure things are improving though seems like there’s more 27.5 bikes on the market than anything else at the moment

Has anyone ever tried using a bike to approach crags and winter routes? I fancy the idea of riding off back down to the car after a long day instead of trudging back on tired feet.
 Chris the Tall 05 Aug 2016
A 29er hardtail is a very versatile bike. If (shudder) I was only allowed one bike, that would be it. Used it for a 100 mile MTB race and (with slicks and panniers) for a 3 day road tour of the dales, plus all manner of long and short rides.

Then again, I should warn you that getting a 29er (about 6 years ago) did have a major effect on my climbing - I started enjoying cycling more !
Post edited at 13:41
 david100 06 Aug 2016

I am 6 foot 4 with long legs and 29ers fit me better. I can get my bars high enough to give a relaxed riding position. My go to bike is a full sus 29er with xc geometry which works really well in most situations. It climbs well and descends well. I ride in the peak a lot on straight bridleways with a little bit of technical descent. I found the big wheels are a real advantage on rocky trails as they give a much smoother ride. But I also ride a slack carbon 26 hardtail which is insanely agile and light and shines on trail centre twisty and steep. But if i had to have one bike it would be the 29er. can do everything well and all day comfortable. Put on thin tyres, long stem and narrow bars and you have a xc/tour bike. Put on thick tyres, short stem and wide bars and you have a trail bike. One point to note. My first bike was the vengeance and at that price point be aware that they are not great bikes for trail centres or even rocky bridleways. The suspension was way too firm with no adjustment and the cable brakes dont give you a full stop like a hydraulic can.
 PPP 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:

Done 60 miles on a full suss 26". Powered by some pastries and juice... Just gym shorts as well, so my bum was sore a little bit too much after that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...