UKC

Peak Climbing Club meet at Lawrencefield - Sunday 7th August

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Capricorn One 05 Aug 2016
On Sunday 7th August Peak Climbing Club will be holding a climbing meet at Lawrencefield. We anticipate around 40 people will attend, although only about half will be climbing (it's a family meet). In light of recent issues with groups at this crag, we want to let other climbers know in advance so that seeing a large group of people at the crag isn't going to be a surprise! We don't intend to monopolise the crag and if we're using a route you want to climb please ask us and we'll be happy to move any top ropes etc.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Capricorn One:

Thanks for the warning. I was thinking it might be an option for Sunday as it's going to be really windy, but it's such a small crag and such a big group. Don't suppose you know any other crags that are good on such a windy day?
 deepsoup 05 Aug 2016
I don't think one poster whingeing on here about a group in situ when he arrived with his own group really constitutes 'recent issues'. As long as you can resist the urge to massacre any more trees I'm sure you'll be grand.
 deepsoup 05 Aug 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
Gritstone crags?
Rivelin could be a good option, it's very sheltered.
Turning Stone Edge faces east and has a dense growth of Rhododendrons on top, if it's blowing a hoolie from the West you'd be well sheltered from the wind there. (If it isn't windy it's also relatively midge-free by gritstone standards.)
 1poundSOCKS 05 Aug 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Rivelin could be a good option, it's very sheltered.

Thanks, went there the other week, not too many routes I can recall being that keen on, and I did those, but I'll check the guidebook. Although I'd be interesting to see if my cam is still in Roof Route, or if somebody managed to swag it.

> Turning Stone Edge

I'll check it out, thanks.
OP Capricorn One 05 Aug 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Turning Stone Edge faces east and has a dense growth of Rhododendrons on top, if it's blowing a hoolie from the West you'd be well sheltered from the wind there. (If it isn't windy it's also relatively midge-free by gritstone standards.)

I was at Turning Stone last night, someone has blitzed a load of the rhoddis. Really worth a look up.
OP Capricorn One 05 Aug 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Thanks for the warning. I was thinking it might be an option for Sunday as it's going to be really windy, but it's such a small crag and such a big group. Don't suppose you know any other crags that are good on such a windy day?

Yarncliff is sheltered (an may actually be in condition.

Millstone is really close to Lawrencefield and might also be a good bet.

And although I haven't checked the forecast, Wharnecliffe can be in good nick when other Eastern Edges aren't.
 deepsoup 05 Aug 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Although I'd be interesting to see if my cam is still in Roof Route, or if somebody managed to swag it.

Oh dear. I was thoroughly spanked by Roof Route not so long ago, still haven't been back to try leading it again. I didn't lose any gear thankfully, just had the indignity of my partner taking over the lead and doing it in fine style, then thrashing about and dogging it horribly on a toprope trying to follow him.

Hard to imagine an abandoned cam staying there for weeks, unless it was *really* jammed.

> I'll check it out, thanks.

i wouldn't want to over sell it, Turning Stone is probably bordering on the esoterica, but there are a handful of really nice routes there. If you enjoy gardening I believe it's the done thing to take a pair of secateurs, loppers or a small pruning saw and chop the rhodies back a bit.

deepsoup 05 Aug 2016
> someone has blitzed a load of the rhoddis.

Oh, cool. Forget that last bit of my last post then.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Aug 2016

> Yarncliff
> Millstone
> Wharnecliffe

Thanks, I'll have a look, never done Yarncliff or Wharnecliffe. Well aware of Millstone, love the place, but more likely to be exposed to the wind I think.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Aug 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Roof Route

Good route, but was over so quickly I was left a little disappointed. From the pictures I was imagined it was higher up, but the roof was bigger than I expected. Might not do it in shorts next time though, although I'll try not to use my knees.

> Hard to imagine an abandoned cam staying there for weeks, unless it was *really* jammed.

I had to abseil for the gear, and the rope slipped into the crack and knocked the cam fairly deep and sideways. I tried a fair while to get it out, obviously.
 muppetfilter 05 Aug 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

If you read the thread i posted i dont think you will find much "whingeing" If you find my highlighting of poor etiquette and unsafe rigging an issue how about you put those pudgy fingers of yours to better use and research the excellent BMC resources surrounding groups at crags.

The OP in this case has done the right thing and I hope they have a great day on one of the peaks more magical venues.

PS. Big hugs and kisses deepsoup, i have missed your friendly stalking xxx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...