UKC

Calling Alpinist magazine readers...give me a view

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shapeshifter 05 Aug 2016
I've bought every issue since the first and now up to number 54. I used to really look forward to reading it, because I thought the writing and general production quality was head and shoulders above other mags.

But since the re-launch and especially over the last year or so, I've found myself really struggling to get into it. To me it seems to have gone a bit esoteric and the writing seems really sanitised and perhaps that's down to heavy editing (I don't know enough about magazine production).

There is part of me that would just like to kick the habit and part of me that thinks I should just get out and do more alpine climbing, then maybe I would enjoy reading about it more.

I know it's really difficult to produce a successful magazine these days, especially in something like Alpinism, but I'd be interested in others' views. Not having a pop, just genuinely interested.
 kipman725 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Shapeshifter:
Some of the articals have been very good for example the one on Dean Potter and Graham Hunt but one of the recent ones was mostly devoted to fictional mountains, I don't find this interesting. Generally the focus has been too much on death as well, we know its dangerous and people die but sometimes almost every artical is about death. We engage in dangerous adventurous pursuits not to dewel on mortality but to have fulfilling lives and while this does come with risks especially for top climbers who go harder and more often the majority of the time we are doing it because... its fun and I don't think the articals are reflecting this.

But when its good, its very good and I think its worth buying for the few good articals.
Post edited at 14:52
OP Shapeshifter 05 Aug 2016
In reply to kipman725:

Yep agreed about the Dean Potter one but that seems a while ago
 planetmarshall 05 Aug 2016

> I've bought every issue since the first and now up to number 54. I used to really look forward to reading it, because I thought the writing and general production quality was head and shoulders above other mags.

It's the only magazine I subscribe to, and will continue to do so. There's nothing else quite like it - it would be a terrible shame if it became about gear reviews and top tens. That category is amply covered by other publications.
 pneame 05 Aug 2016

Definitely not alone - I thought it was just me getting senile. Stopped my subscription about a year ago as an issue would come in, i'd flick through it and it would remain unread until the next one came in. repeat.
I used to think it was a worthy successor to Mountain but it has become rather dry/esoteric/dull
 galpinos 09 Aug 2016

The last few issues have seemed a bit under par at times but its still by far the best climbing publication out there and I'd be gutted if it went under so I'm not cancelling my subscription anytime soon.

I still get the thrill of excitement when I get home to find it on the door mat.
 SteveM 09 Aug 2016

I love it and have read every word from front to back of every issue from 0 to 47. Numbers 48 to 55 are on the shelf waiting to be read, I most often catch up on flights and holidays. No spoilers please!*?!
 galpinos 09 Aug 2016
In reply to SteveM:

> No spoilers please!*?!

Oooh, you won't believe what Steve House said about Alex Honnold and that sketch by Jeremy Collins of Brete Harrington was beyond the pale........

kingjam 11 Aug 2016

I definitely dont love it as much as i used to. Im not sure whether its due to the relaunch or whether the format of the magazine is always a bit samey.

As other posts already have said its the only think I subscribe to and i will keep on and still love it.... but not as much as the first four issues
In reply to all: Sorry for the hijack, but if anyone wants a copy of Alpinist 43, I have two spare copies and I'd be happy to chuck one in the post to anyone for a few quid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...