UKC

Rockfax app - support for data on the web site

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 06 Aug 2016
Hi,

I really like the app idea, and would be willing to pay for my local crags but all my local ones are Climbers Club and not Rockfax so I don't think Rockfax will ever spend the money making their own guides.

Could we have the app be able to download a crag and just store the data that is already on the web site, e.g. route description, comments and maybe some pictures? It should also let you log your routes and see your log book. This needs to work offline while at the crag.

For me that would be much more useful than just selling a small selection of Topo's.
 Emilio Bachini 06 Aug 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

I often just save them as a PDF and or on my reading list (iPhone) but I'm optimistic that there's a much nicer way to do something similar.

Works alright, not great but better than nothing.

Emilio.
 wbo 06 Aug 2016
In reply to springfall2008: have you actually used the app? It does most of that already

In reply to wbo:

Only for crags that you can purchase which are just a small selection. It needs to be able to do this for all crags on UKC and not just those you can buy topo's for???

You'll have access to every route in your UKC logbook in the next update, not just the ones you have installed a guide for. You'll also be able to search for any route on UKC and add it to your logbook. This is less than a month away from release I think.

You won't be able to download non-Rockfax crags at this point for offline viewing though I'm afraid.
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> You'll have access to every route in your UKC logbook in the next update, not just the ones you have installed a guide for. You'll also be able to search for any route on UKC and add it to your logbook. This is less than a month away from release I think.

That sounds like an improvement

> You won't be able to download non-Rockfax crags at this point for offline viewing though I'm afraid.

Do you plan to add this in the future, I think this would be the most valuable thing that could be in the app?

Sorry, Alan and the lead App developer are both away at the mo. They will be able to answer that better than i can if you can wait a couple of weeks.

Sorry, I just found this thread. We're currently working on a fairly major update to the app that will add the ability to maintain a complete ukc logbook without ever buying any Rockfax topos, so you'll be able to get route descriptions and user photos/comments for any route that exists in the UKC databases. It's partially implemented at the minute, and we expect to have it ready soon.

After using the initial implementation, we've decided that we need to expand it somewhat, so it's going to take a little longer than first anticipated, probably around Christmas. But bear in mind that generally when I give a concrete date for stuff like this it's wrong.
In reply to Stephen Horne - UKC:

That's brilliant - quite happy to wait for something good If you can provide this data offline that would be even better, as I'm sure you know mobile signal's are rather patchy when you are out climbing.

I'm also really happy to buy Topo's, the prices are really reasonable it's just I don't see Rockfax making Topo's for Crags already covered by Climbers Club guide books - which I'm afraid is most of my local ones.

UnkArl 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Stephen Horne - UKC:

I just installed the latest update v2.0 on to my iPad Air (latest iOS) and the app crashes on startup.
In reply to UnkArl:

> I just installed the latest update v2.0 on to my iPad Air (latest iOS) and the app crashes on startup.

It sounds like a database migration failure during the upgrade. We've had some of these happen during previous updates to the app, but we've never been able to recreate the issue here, so we are still not sure what the cause is.

The fix is to delete the by holding and tapping the cross then go to the App Store and reinstall it. This means you'll need to download your packages again. You can restore purchases by goin to Home > My account > Restore purchases. Then download the packages by clicking on the cloud icon under Crags > Downloads next to any crag you have bought if you want to download those to the phone.

Apologies for the problems.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I installed the new app and it looks a lot better (had to re-install for the same reason as above)

Do you plan to add a way to read the comments against the route from within the app, that would be useful too?

> Do you plan to add a way to read the comments against the route from within the app, that would be useful too?

Yes. This version is just the first step on full UKC Logbook integration. You can currently access comments made on the Rockfax version of the database but there are more comments on UKC so we will be adding those soon as well as voting from the app.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Sounds good being able to add to your own logbook as you climb routes also would be great.

> Sounds good being able to add to your own logbook as you climb routes also would be great.

That is exactly what has just been implemented with version 2.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...