UKC

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn - camping spot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 08 Aug 2016
Looking to take the laddie for a wee wander, wondered if there are any "wild" camping spots near to the road that we could use for an overnight, sticking the camping gear back in the car before the hill walk?

Doesn't have to be at the base of the hill as we could drive a short distance in the morning, would prefer a "wild" campsite but also any proper campsite recommendations close by?
 t__her6 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Pids:
Loch doon is a good shout and also gives you the chance to see the Osprey before they migrate next month which your young one might enjoy to see or even fish on the loch. There is a cafe near the loch(next to the dam) and the owner has now got a camera on the nest which can be viewed from there and also has monoscopes setup. Plenty camping spots around the loch but if you camp near the dam and cafe you will also have the option of watching the osprey all day. Then you only need to drive back out onto the A713 the next day and head towards Carsphairn which is only a few miles away.
Post edited at 16:39
drmarten 08 Aug 2016
In reply to t__her6:

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn is my 'local' hill, I'd recommend sticking by the river on the flat section at the start and save the wee man ending up ankle deep in cow dung on the path that goes through the middle ofthe field before the barn. Last time I went I was wearing new boots and was distraught at the result. Have a good trip.
 Flinticus 09 Aug 2016
In reply to drmarten:

It's been a while but now that you have mentioned it; I remember the cow shit. It does take careful navigation and a grim forbearance!
mysterion 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
I remember the cattle being a bit 'lively' too. Bullocks running along the fenceline to join some cows with calves at an open gate on the track then everything parting to reveal a bull. Not a bad fellow, though he was stood by the track looking out for me on the way back. Friendly dogs too at the house.
Post edited at 16:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...