UKC

Moonboard VS Woody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tom Slater 08 Aug 2016
Hey,
I have always wanted to construct a moon board as I thought that it would be a great feature to initiate into my training however I have only used woodys which seam incredible. Which one would you recommend building and regularly using? Thanks
 springfall2008 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Slater:

Hi,

Can you give some more information on your climbing experience/level and your training goals?
Tom Slater 09 Aug 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

I have climbed V9 bouldering and onsighted V8 indoors. I want a long term solution that can bring me to the higher grades such as V13,14 as well as benefiting my leading (which is currently 7c onsight . I have enough wood to build either but which one do you think would benefit me the most and which one is prefered by pro climbers? Thanks
 springfall2008 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Slater:

Okay cool, best to wait for someone who knows their stuff to reply
 douwe 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Slater:

Better move this post to the bouldering or training forum instead of starting out/ beginner.
I have never used the moonboard (unfortunately) so can't say anything useful about it. But looking forward to more informed answers actually.
Tom Slater 09 Aug 2016
In reply to douwe:

I agree! But unfortunatly it wont allow me to move it. Pretty intrigued to find out peoples opinions on thos though!
In reply to Tom Slater:

Well, I'm about to rip out the bouldering cave and part of the upstairs floor in my garage to put in a Moonboard before winter. I think it's probably the repeatability and the whole online problems/global participation thing which works so well. I'm not sure my setting skills are up to setting up a woody to compete with the available problems.
A word of warning though, the old skool 'easy' problems around 6a are all sandbags and totally nails. A bit like the Beastmaker, prepare to be demoralised for a while. Is there a Moonboard setup at a wall near you?
Tom Slater 09 Aug 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

No, I havent really had the opportunity to use one yet. But as you said, the whole global participation and routesetting sounds awesome! What hold set / sets would you recommend getting?
 Toerag 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Slater:

> No, I havent really had the opportunity to use one yet. But as you said, the whole global participation and routesetting sounds awesome! What hold set / sets would you recommend getting?

You may be best to ask on UKB, but there are certain arrangements where you can fix multiple sets of moon holds to the board at the same time. Although I'm not good enough to use it, I think one big benefit of the moonboard is the standardisation of grades so you will truly know how well you're climbing. If paying for hold sets is a problem then get a set of moon holds and supplement it with your own woodies (old teak garden furniture is good source of material).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...