UKC

Warm(ish) November Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon_87 08 Aug 2016
Hi,

Looking for some recommendations for some warmer weather climbing around mid November. Might just be me heading out so if there are any companies that do some guiding I'd be keen to know.

Wasn't sure what Spain or maybe Morocco had.

Thanks
 BarrySW19 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon_87:

I usually do Costa Blanca around that time, staying at the Orange House - I go with the club, but I think there's normally people there looking for partners too and guides available.
 Mark Eddy 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon_87:

Hi Simon, Spain is a good option at that time of year. We are based around the Costa Blanca from October - March / April and arrange guided days / weeks, and activity courses from a base in the Jalon valley (easily accessed from Alicante airport).
http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/spain.html
Here's more info about things to do out there: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/guides-and-information.html

If you'd like any information on the area or arrange some guided days, please get in touch.

Thanks
Mark
OP Simon_87 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon_87:

thanks for the info, I'll have a look.
 LeeWood 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon_87:

Lleida Catalunya will work fine then also - in fact even optimal.
silo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon_87:
I think you would enjoy morocco more . Spain is all about sport climbing and at your grade morocco has more to offer. I would post for a climbing partner/partners. The Jabbel el kest is a very special place.
 Mark Eddy 09 Aug 2016
In reply to silo:

One thing's for sure, Spain is not all about sport climbing. That's just what is seen on the surface. The trad is fantastic and there is huge amounts of it as well as plenty of friendly sport climbing. Orihuela, Puig Campana, El Divino, Raco de Las, Echo valley, Cabezon d'Oro are just a few brilliant trad venues on the 'Blanca.
I can't comment directly on the Morocco scene, and am sure it's amazing too. But have heard that access is more of an effort (longer drives). It's super easy in Costa Blanca and it's probably the sunniest place in Europe, with Oct - April being optimum climbing time there.
silo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:
Hi Mark ,
I live in Gib and regularly climb in Spain while the trad climbing is good at Simon's grade there isn't that much to go at and the easier sport routes are often polished! The Jabbel el kest offers an abundance of routes at his grade and the access to the climbing is part of the fun!
 Mark Eddy 11 Aug 2016
In reply to silo:

When I used to climb in the El Chorro area that's what I found, polish and not much easy stuff (a few ago so more routes may have been established).
Having got to know the Costa Blanca i've discovered a huge amount of really good climbing in the lower / mid grades. Yes some roadside crags are polished, but plenty are not. The Segaria crags have loads of easier trad lines too, the approach is straightforward and the setting superb. Some very good mountain v'diffs in the area. New crags are being developed all the time, so more sport routes every year.
In reply to Simon_87:
> Wasn't sure what Spain or maybe Morocco had.

Finding partners in Morocco is certainly more difficult than in Spain, but if you can find someone to go with then there's certainly an abundance of great (and usually warm) climbing at that time of year. There's some info at www.climb-tafraout.com or www.climb-todra.com

For guiding, check out Climb Morocco - they will probably be able to sort you out

Sam Mayfield 15 Aug 2016
In reply to silo:

The Trad climbing in Spain is awesome and at all grades!

We have been promising a mini guide to the easy Trad for Costa Blanca for years, maybe I need to put a rocket up Richs arse to actually do it!

The Orange House ALWAYS has people needing partners due to the staff that work with us, if you have a hire car you will be highly desirable! lol Also the staff love a Trad day out as yes the sport is amazing but lots of exciting other things for them to try!

For topos we have already check out http://theorangehouse.co.uk/mini-guides/pdf-page

you will need to pop your email address into the website though so we can track how many people download them.

Ta Sam Orange House
 James Malloch 24 Aug 2016
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd bump this up. I'm looking for somewhere to go in November for a week or so of sport climbing. Requirements are:

Somewhere with plenty to go at in both the 6b-7a and 7b-7c range so we can all climb together each day.
Reliable weather.
Easy to get to (not too much driving at the other end).

Thoughts so far have been:

Lleida (mainly interested in terradets/santa linya but its not ideal for the lower grades)
Sicily - was a washout last time so would be good to go back
France - buoux etc - may be a bit hard in the lower grades
El chorro / Costa Blanca - been before a few times but fits the bill well.
Anatalya - maybe not the best idea given the current political situation out there...

Are there any other places that jump to mind that I've missed off? I imagine that there's some more places in Catalunya that would be ideal that I don't know about / have the guide for.
 Heike 24 Aug 2016
In reply to James Malloch:
I wouldn't go to Sicily. Might be a wash-out again, it's not the premier time of the year. Buoux, might be too cold too. November is a great tine to go to Antalya (but there is the political situation). Costa Blanca, always very safe bet weather-wise. South of France should be good too, fly to Nice or Marseille, lots of stuff in all the grades. What about Siurana - south of Barcelona, we went there in October, can't imagine it would be much colder in November? IN fact it was a bit hot when we were there.

Post edited at 12:51
 d_b 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon_87:

Malta maybe?

I might be there in November myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...