UKC

Helicopter forced landing on Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 09 Aug 2016
"An RAF helicopter has caught fire on a Snowdonia peak after being forced to land due to a technical problem. All four people who were on board the training aircraft from RAF Valley on Anglesey have been reported safe."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-37023986
In reply to Coel Hellier:
Prince William?

edit : he left a few years ago to do something else, so not him
Post edited at 16:02
 GHawksworth 09 Aug 2016

The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!
 Skyfall 09 Aug 2016

Glad to see everyone is safe, but .... who is going to get the wreckage off the summit ?!
 Wainers44 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Glad to see everyone is safe, but .... who is going to get the wreckage off the summit ?!

Crag swag?
 JoshOvki 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Glad to see everyone is safe, but .... who is going to get the wreckage off the summit ?!

I know the summit cafe isn't popular but I wouldn't go as far as calling it "the wreckage"
 PPP 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

There are quite few planes lying around Cairngorms.

It's getting closer to 100 years now and you can still find bits and pieces: http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/scotland/scotlandl7867.htm
In reply to PPP:

> There are quite few planes lying around Cairngorms.

Plenty of others in North Wales, and not the first on Yr Aran:

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/wales/walesx4843.htm

Toerag 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy DB:

I think they might find a dustpan and brush more appropriate - pretty much all that's left is the tail, there's very little left of the hull.
 ben b 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Crikey - that's made quite a mess.

Over a few years of trips I formed the idea that the only people who ever go over Yr Aran are either very lost, or doing the Paddy Buckley. Which is a shame because it's a lovely wee hill, and in my mind it is only ever warm and sunny up there. Provided you avoid the blazing copters obviously. Glad all safe.

b

Roadrunner5 10 Aug 2016
In reply to ben b:

> Crikey - that's made quite a mess.

> Over a few years of trips I formed the idea that the only people who ever go over Yr Aran are either very lost, or doing the Paddy Buckley. Which is a shame because it's a lovely wee hill, and in my mind it is only ever warm and sunny up there. Provided you avoid the blazing copters obviously. Glad all safe.

> b

Its a superb peak, the ridge from Craig Wen (is that it?) is a real beauty, snowdonia has so many hidden gems even within the main snowdonia massif.
 Andy DB 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Yes, have just seen Llanberis MRT's photo. A skip is probably the most appropriate. Just glad everyone got out OK.
 ben b 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Aye, lovely hill. And I have never seen anyone else up there!

Out of interest, on the PB is the best line to leave the car park and exit the quarry before heading right and crossing a boggy stream before picking up the fence that slowly climbs to just S of the top? or circle onto drier ground to the south?
cheers
b
 Roadrunner5 10 Aug 2016
In reply to ben b: to get to yr aran?
I always preserved direct but others did the long swing.

The direct path crosses both summits, paddy initially listed the first one but it got changed to the obviously higher second summit.

ben b 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks. The southerly / southwesterly ridge is delightful but undoubtedly further so nice if walking or doing legs but I can see it would get a thumbs down otherwise!

Cheers

b
 Dave 88 11 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

And Rohan will answer!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...