UKC

Driving Edinburgh to Cortina (Dolomites)-where to stop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 09 Aug 2016
I'm driving out from the 27th August. My initial thoughts were;

Drive to Dover, find somewhere to camp
Early next day ferry and drive all the way to Cortina

Has anyone done that drive in a day, is it a reasonable proposition? If not, where would you stop over the channel; I understand that finding somewhere safe in N France might be less than easy.

Robert
 stuartf 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I've done Calais to the dolomites in a day twice before and it's fine.
 rallymania 09 Aug 2016
In reply to stuartf:

google maps puts calais to cortina as about 12hours and 17 minutes

0153453 09 Aug 2016

We're doing it in a day this year, although from Manchester(ish), and going to stop in Austria for a few days. Setting off around 7pm aiming to be in Austria afternoon next day. I would say you've got another 2/3 hours in the UK and the same from Austria to Cortina (roughly). Its probably do-able, more so if you are sharing driving. Might be a bit much if you drive the lot by yourself, just a break from driving i find is ideal, even if i don't sleep.

Matt
 digby 09 Aug 2016

Campsites in France are perfectly safe!

I guess you are a motorway masochist though. I would say get off the motorway when you want to stop and find a quiet rural layby. Away from the industrial areas it should be fine. The direct line goes through N France, the Vosges (lovely), rural Germany (there's a nice campsite in Mittenwald, just before Austria - http://www.camping-isarhorn.de/ just outside). Brenner pass - the rural road on the other side of the valley should present some stopping places.

Must say when I go I take about a week!
JPSC 09 Aug 2016

Driving to anywhere on the continent from Edinburgh, I drive down to Dover or Portsmouth and cross the channel on the first day. This way you can make a prompt start on the second morning without losing time crossing and due to the time difference.

Normally 9 hours from Edinburgh to Dover docks, so start at 7.30 in order to miss the Tyneside rush hour then A1/A14/M11/M25/M2/A2 gets you to Dover at 4.30 with an hour in hand for checking in for a crossing at 6.30. Arrive about 9 pm and stay at the Etap hotel on the edge of Dunkerque, leave say 7.30 in the morning and go down through Belgium to Luxembourg, avoiding French tolls, to fill up on cheap diesel and then across Germany and Austria.

Viamichelin gives about 13 hours drive to Cortina, which I would expect to take 16-17 hours with stops, so I'd break it up, Mittenwald sounds good.

Hope some of that is usefu;
 Jenny C 09 Aug 2016

We drive down through Germany and usually overnight just before Munich. That gets the majority of driving done on day 1, although coming from Sheffield that is our only stop.

Make surd you don't get caught out by the Dartford crossing toll charges - a stealth tax for northerners who don't know the system.
 Neil Williams 09 Aug 2016

Confused why you think camping in France is unsafe. Just find a "camping municipale" and you'll be fine.
 Toerag 09 Aug 2016

If you're going to Cortina for VF then a stop in Mittenwald is a good idea - you can do the Mittenwalder Hohenweg whilst you're there, it's a good VF with cablecar up and a lovely ridge. Take walking poles for the walk down to the valley or retrace your steps and go back down the cablecar as it's tough on the knees going down to the Brunnstein(?) hutte.
OP Roberttaylor 10 Aug 2016
In reply to JPSC:

Spot on. Looks like crossing the night before, stating in a Calais campsite then doing as you say and heading down through the Benelux countries for cheap fuel is the way to go. Thanks all!
 rossn 11 Aug 2016

I would leave about 4pm and use the tunnel, crossing at about 0100 then your driving through northern France in the wee hours and just keep going. I assume you are with someone who will alternate the driving with you. I've driven to Chamonix from Dundee in a oner several times and it's no problem going. It's coming back into the UK that's the living nightmare.
Removed User 11 Aug 2016

Stopped at Metz twice breakers the trip up and arrive energised enjoy!
 Al_Mac 11 Aug 2016

I've made that journey several times, and others like it. I would tend to drive down to Dover overnight, leaving Edinburgh 8pm, get down and sleep for a few hours, and then jump on the 6am sailing (although I prefer the Chunnel now as it's both quicker, less disruptive, and the carpark a little better for getting some undisturbed sleep). That way you can usually be in Belgium by 9am, and down into Italy by late afternoon quite comfortably. Obiously it's easier with someone to split the driving with, even if only for a couple of hours, but I've driven back from Kronplatz to Edinburgh in one hit before and it's been okay (left Italy at 7pm and got to Edinburgh just after midday on the Monday). Sitting at a steady 85-90mph (although in truth anything <100mph tends to fly under the radar in Europe) and doing 4+hr stints is the way to make progress, rather than some people I've travelled with who will sit at 70mph the whole way and stop every 90 minutes, religiously. That really does make you want to scream.
 digby 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Confused why you think camping in France is unsafe. Just find a "camping municipale" and you'll be fine.

I think it refers to the 'aires' on motorways. Notorious spots for getting broken into.
 digby 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Please don't exceed the speed limit!
 digby 11 Aug 2016

> Spot on. Looks like crossing the night before, stating in a Calais campsite then doing as you say and heading down through the Benelux countries for cheap fuel is the way to go. Thanks all!

If you can get a couple of hours further on there's a super little camping at Étréaupont https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir//3+Rue+du+Mont+d'Origny,+02580+ÉtrÃ... that a lot of people stop at for the night. Well Netherlanders do. And there are climbing holds bolted into a cutting on the railway walkway nearby!
 planetmarshall 11 Aug 2016

Read this as "Driving from Edinburgh to the Dolomites in a Cortina", and was thinking you'll probably have quite a few stops.
 Neil Williams 11 Aug 2016
In reply to digby:

Didn't even know camping there was allowed.
In reply to Cloverleaf:
Driving too fast and tired. Yeah, great idea. Add to that criticism of those who take the safe option as they should. Hope you are well away from me on any road.
Post edited at 19:50

(FWIW, feel free to drive fast and get caught if you wish, provided you don't crash into me, but *don't* criticise me for driving safely and taking the proper breaks to ensure I'm not tired on a long journey)
 Jim 1003 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Sitting at a steady 85-90mph (although in truth anything <100mph tends to fly under the radar in Europe) and doing 4+hr stints is the way to make progress, rather than some people I've travelled with who will sit at 70mph the whole way and stop every 90 minutes, religiously. That really does make you want to scream.

^ Complete bollocks, I really wasn't aware that speed cameras could discriminate in that way. The French police book you for 5 km over...wise up.
The speeds your suggesting will lead to your car being confiscated. The irony of fly under the radar is absurd...
 CurlyStevo 12 Aug 2016
In reply to rossn:

Yeah alternating diving and sleeping worked fine for us dong a 24 hr drive to the Alps...
 digby 12 Aug 2016

> Didn't even know camping there was allowed.

Well not camping as such, but sleeping in cars, motorhomes etc. Don't know if it still happens but motorhomes used to get raided (whilst occupied!) and stuff snatched.
 rossn 18 Aug 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Agreed, We've did this 4 times and I've driven it twice myself.

RN
 subtle 18 Aug 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Yeah alternating diving and sleeping worked fine for us dong a 24 hr drive to the Alps...

I'm glad
 Dark-Cloud 18 Aug 2016
In reply to digby:

If you stop in the larger service areas and park up near the other camper vans in a well lit area there will be no issues, its what we usually do and will be doing next weekend.
testagrigia 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Cloverleaf:

> although in truth anything <100mph tends to fly under the radar in Europe)

Those days are long gone. French motorways are end-to-end speed cameras these days. I got 3 speeding fines crossing France last summer in a rush to catch a ferry, all at just over the speed limit. I don't know about Germany, except I imagine they're pretty strict. Switzerland and Austria, forget speeding, unless you have deep pockets. And though it looks like anything goes in Italy, speed cameras are popping up all over the place and some motorways (e.g. Turin-Savona) have average speed control sytstems. If you do get caught, Italian law enforcement is arbitrarily severe. You might find yourself hitchiking home.
 Trangia 18 Aug 2016

If you hit the Dartford crossing between 6 am and 10 pm don't forget the toll charge which you need to pay in advance

https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge
 digby 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

You must pay by midnight the day after you cross. (from your link)

I was overcharged for the campervan! Charged at commercial vehicle rate. Swines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...