UKC

Ailefroide in autumn (or alternatives for long easy sport)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Conor1 10 Aug 2016
Hey folks,
Looking to get away for some long easy sport routes before the year is out and it sounds like Ailefroide is one of the best places in Europe. But I can't do anything until late September at the earliest - October or November would be better. What's the latest one could go there and not freeze?

If anyone has any other suggestions for warmer destinations with lots of long (5+ pitches), easy (5-6a) sport routes that would also be great.

Cheers,
Conor
 Mike-W-99 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Conor1:

I'll chip in with my usual answer and that's the ariege. So much to do there and on different rock types to.
In reply to Conor1:

Hi Conor

I live 25 mins from Ailefroide, September is an amazing time to climb in Ailefroide as its still warm and quite, as for October we have had some great days climbing there but it is starting to get cold and it not a guarantee that you can climb every day, and November is getting worse we have climbed then but really just getting luck with weather, it is it 1500 meters and as the name surgests gets cold.

You can climb on some of the lower durance valley crags year round, but that when you live here or if you mix it with a skiing holiday etc.

I would head to warmer climates where you stand a good chance of climbing everyday,

Cheers Rob
OP Conor1 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Conor1:

Thanks Rob, this is really useful. Mike, would I be right in thinking that the main crags for this type of thing in the Ariege would be Dent d'Orlu, Sinsat and Calames?

Thanks,
Conor
 Mike-W-99 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Conor1:

They've certainly got plenty to go at for multi-pitch adventures. plenty of quality single pitch too on 3 different times of rock.
 Mick B 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Conor1:

It's worth bearing in mind that there can be a huge difference between a 5+ in Aifroide and in Ariege.
Both fantastic places but Ariege is much more old school in both the grading and the bolting.

Depending on how much you've already done out there I'd consider the Costa Blanca.
Loads of multi pitch and should be a nice temperature.
OP Conor1 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Mick B:

Thanks Mick, good to know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...