UKC

Need help and climbing buddy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
D.Bilton 11 Aug 2016

I have recently bought some climbing shoes and am thinking of going up to the yourkshire mours in about two weeks, I am looking for someone that would meet me there and Mabey we could climb together so I can pick some tips up and just get into climbing solo without ropes.
Post edited at 19:16
 slab_happy 12 Aug 2016
In reply to D.Bilton:

Okay, I think this is probably going to provoke some questions ...

First off, are you thinking of soloing or bouldering?

Bouldering is climbing without ropes at relatively low heights, usually over mats, whereas free soloing is climbing routes without ropes, generally at a height where falling could mean serious injury or even death.

Generally, soloing isn't how people start off with climbing (if they ever do it) because it's so incredibly high-stakes. It's hard to learn when any mistake is potentially fatal.

It's also something that's usually considered to be extremely personal: people have to make decisions about what they think they can solo based on their climbing experience and judgement, and take total responsibility for those decisions.

So you're unlikely to get encouraging responses to "I am a newbie, meet me on the moors and give me tips on how to solo".

If you're just getting into climbing, I'd recommend looking for a safer way to try it out at first, whether that's roped climbing or bouldering.

Maybe if you explain a bit more about how you got interested in climbing and what experience (if any) you've had, people would be able to make more helpful suggestions.
 ChrisH89 12 Aug 2016
In reply to D.Bilton:

Yeah, echoing what was said above. If you mean bouldering, fine (but you still want to be over a mat really). If you mean taller stuff, you'd be best joining a club with experienced people who can introduce you to climbing outdoors safely. Soloing routes before you have the experience to make appropriate judgements is a bad idea likely to get you injured or worse. Note that many clubs require new members to know how to belay before joining; if so it's worth finding out whether there are any local SPA/CWA trainees looking for instructor experience as they would teach you without charging.

In the north Yorkshire Moors Scugdale is a decent beginners crag, and mostly short enough to climb above bouldering pads without using ropes if that's what you're interested in.
D.Bilton 15 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

Thanks and probably bouldering since I'm a newbie and really like the idea of the risk and getting my self pumped but not to pumped so my muscles sieze up but still need someone to meet there sometime next week.
D.Bilton 15 Aug 2016
In reply to ChrisH89:

Thanks for the reply, so I could join a club and chat/climb with trained instructors or expirienced climbers which is what I want really bad. Could you tell me about some of the clubs there are in the moors area or surrounding.
 SuperLee1985 16 Aug 2016
In reply to D.Bilton:

Many clubs are listed on the UKC Directory
 slab_happy 16 Aug 2016
In reply to D.Bilton:

In my experience, bouldering outdoors can be more than scary enough to begin with, even at fairly low heights. *g*

At the start, you need to learn how to minimize risk as much as possible (e.g. by learning how to fall properly so you're less likely to sprain an ankle), and it'll still be scary!

Have you done any indoor climbing at all? If not, how did you get interested?

Nowadays, people will often do a bit of indoor climbing to learn some skills before they move outside, and find out if it's something they enjoy. There's no reason why you can't start outside, but it's more unusual.

> so I could join a club and chat/climb with trained instructors

Aside from the clubs option -- are you near any climbing walls? They'll usually have a variety of classes, "improvers' groups" and so on, and often indoor-to-outdoor classes of some kind. If you're able to pay for private coaching, one of their instructors might be able to coach you outside to help you get started, if that's what you'd prefer.

And ChrisH89's suggestion of looking for SPA/CWA trainees who need to get some teaching practice in without charging is brilliant.

There are also some fantastic books /DVDs that can help with learning movement skills, if you prefer to do some of your learning by teaching yourself -- let me know if that's of interest and I'll start listing titles.

> but still need someone to meet there sometime next week.

Your best bet might be to start a post in the Lifts and Partners forum, maybe with a more informative title like "Yorkshire Moors bouldering".

But bear in mind that you're asking people to do you a favour by helping teach you (and sharing use of their bouldering mat).

And that's cool, we all do that to some extent when we're getting started, and climbers are often super-generous and happy to help, but you can maximize your chances of getting to go out on repeat trips by doing things like offering to pay for petrol money (if you need a lift), etc.. Bringing cake often goes down well!*g*
 y2keable 16 Aug 2016
In reply to D.Bilton:

I'll be in the peaks between 4th - 9th Sep. Will be free in the evenings (4pm onwards) and looking to climb at Stanage. I'll have my rack and ropes and can meet you and take you up some routes. Sorry, I'm not a boulderer but I've been climbing for nearly 15 years so can still coach you. Whether leading or bouldering, the skills are very much the same.
D.Bilton 20 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:
Thanks, I have being climbing around 9 times at rock city in hull a few years ago and have being outside at my home made wall/tree with hand and foot holds in that help me with my workouts. I know how to fall and break fall. need to speak to someone in person about it to put in perspective on what I want to do and when I should finally meet on the moors at hopefully an easy bouldering location.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...