UKC

Boulder Types/Styles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CruxProblem 12 Aug 2016

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a little help. I am making a small app so I can log my progress in bouldering. I need a list of boulder styles. It doesn't need to be an exhaustive list, the more concise the better but it should cover all styles. I at the moment I have this...

- power
- techincal
- crimpy
- overhanging
- slopers

It's probably not the most complete or well balanced set of styles so I would really love your input.

**EDIT**

It could actually be more than 1 list. For example, if it makes more sense to have overhanging/slab in a different category thats fine. I am just looking at the best way to categorise problems
Post edited at 18:22
 Fraser 12 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:

Sustained / enduro.
 alx 12 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:

Maybe refine the lists then the criteria, you are mixing up angle of rock with key hold types and the overall 'feel' of the climb.
 stp 12 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:
Roof, traverse, highball, press, Gaston, lowball, dyno, double dyno, pinch,
Post edited at 20:27
 joeldering 12 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:

Compression, pockets
 1poundSOCKS 12 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:
Slab.
Crack (finger/hand/fist/offwidth).
Post edited at 21:56
 zv 13 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:

In my little log in spreadsheet I just categorise them by location, be it a different climbing wall or outside. I just try to get a good mix of things and make sure one thing doesn't dominate to make sure I get a good training mix of angles, route setters, rock types, etc.
 Unicorn John 23 Aug 2016
In reply to CruxProblem:

Mind if I ask how you're making the app? Java with the Eclipse Android plugin, using the iOS IDE, or web-based? (No technical insight here; just curious!)

I'd give each problem four categories, if it were me: type of holds (crimpy, slopy, simulated rock etc.), type of route (dyno-ey, technical, flexibility, strength, etc.), type of wall (cave, overhang, slab, highball etc.), and graded difficulty.

Maybe if I was being super-anal also whether I found it high or low for its grade, how many attempts I took, etc. etc..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...