UKC

Small hills appreciation thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 12 Aug 2016
I love Hanter hill which is just off Hergest Ridge - a lovely mountain in miniature attaining a lofty height of 414 m. My daughter enjoyed climbing it and rolling down it. It's the kind of hill I'd like in my back garden.
What's yours?
 BnB 12 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Hallin Fell above Howtown on Ullswater is my favourite of Lakeland's mini mountains. But you could just as well nominate Grange Fell or Loughrigg or Helm Crag, or Barf or Catbells. I look forward to spending more time in their company when the real mountains soar out of reach.
pasbury 12 Aug 2016
In reply to BnB:

Hallin Fell is a great little hill. Reminds me of Little Mell Fell; you get the most fantastic views from these hills on the outskirts of mountain ranges.
 IceKing 12 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

My two favourites are Clougha Pike near Lancaster. Can see the Lakeland Fells, the Yorkshire three peaks, Snowdonia and the Isle of Man on a good day. 420m and with lots of interesting approaches, artwork dotted around the place and a good fell race.

And then also Whitbarrow Scar in the South Lakes. Great views across the Kent Estuary and Morecambe Bay, the Howgills and the Cumbrian Fells. Often you'll get buzzed by a Eurofighter Typhoon. There's good mountain biking, a particular spot with excellent ornithology, Peregrines and excellent sport climbing on Chapel Head Scar.
 NathanP 12 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
From my childhood:
Sharpley Rocks http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/highsharpleyI.htm frying sausages on a camping gas stove with my Dad and building bracken dens between the ribs of rock.
Brant Fell above Windermere, walking up with Sally - our friend's old, fat beagle; digging around in the spring and scrambling over the rocks on the top.
Post edited at 22:36
 malky_c 12 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
Beinn Sgiathan on Eriskay - 185m high, 10 minutes to the top at an amble, views of everything. Pint at the Politician afterwards. To be honest, Most things over 50m high out this way are brilliant.

Closer to home, Stac Gorm in Strathnairn. Great little pile of rock above Loch Ruthven, which takes about 20 minutes to get up. I can easily cycle out to it of an evening after work.

Great thread by the way.
Post edited at 23:04
 Dave Hewitt 12 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Dumyat near me in Stirling is always good value, although there's an argument to be made that the standard path from the Sheriffmuir road, used in perhaps more than 90% of ascents, is the least good way up. I hardly ever go that way, preferring any one of: the race route from Logie Kirk via Yellowcraig; the big gully above Blairlogie (with several side-exit options); the craggy across-the-face route via Blairlogie Glen if the bracken's not too high and the gorse not too mad; the "parallel path" just over the shoulder from the main Sheriffmuir route; the Lossburn north-side approach (there's often something very pleasant about that); or the steady-angle path from the Menstrie side with a diversion across to the Kips pinnacle. Lots of options for circuits and loops, a fine hill and only just over 400m.
pasbury 12 Aug 2016
In reply to malky_c:
How about Meall Mor on Tanera Mor (summer isles) truly magical place.
 aln 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Cockleroy and Dumgoyne.
mysterion 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
Eildon Hills near Melrose looked good to me in passing, three small hills hunkered together and looking like a lot of fun. Also in passing, the jagged (on one side at least!) ridge of Llandegley Rocks near Radnor Forest. And my 'training hills' the Malverns, can get something like 1300m of ascent by doubling back and all at nice intervals. Not forgetting my 'other' training hills, Long Mynd, where you can rack up ascent by going point to point across the valleys (though the route is a bit oppressive and choked with bracken lower down at this time of year)
Post edited at 01:28
 Bulls Crack 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

The Lawley near Church Stretton is tiny but with a wonderful airy ridge for most of its length. Lovely views too. http://www.go4awalk.com/m/uk-mountains-and-hills/mountains-england-wales.ph...
Removed User 13 Aug 2016
In reply to malky_c:

> Beinn Sgiathan on Eriskay - 185m high, 10 minutes to the top at an amble, views of everything. Pint at the Politician afterwards. To be honest, Most things over 50m high out this way are brilliant.

I'll second Beinn Sgiathan but I did catch it on a sunny day one Easter.

Of my local hills Snailsden Pike. At 475m it's not much of a stand out hill but it is on the very edge of the Dark Peak and sufficiently apart to give unobstructed in all directions. It's on one of my regular training runs.

Dan Arkle 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Parkhouse Hill in the Peak.

A beautifully proportioned mini mountain that you could put in your pocket.
 earlsdonwhu 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Hambledon Hill in Dorset. Steep enough to be interesting with earthworks for a bit of history and overlooking what I think of as being quintessential English countryside.......lush green fields and woods with small villages and even a cricket pitch visible .
In reply to pasbury:

Does stac pollaidh count in this thread, or is it too big...?

If it doesn't, my nomination would be sgurr na stri- box seat view down loch coruisk into the heart of the black cuillin.

joe.wahab 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Hambledon Hill is lovely. Much of my hillwalking as a child and teenager was on small hills around North Dorset. One hill that I really like is Melbury. There is a clear view of its distinctive rounded hump from much of Shaftesbury and it has some really steep bits for a hill that's relatively small.

One of my all time favourite views/memories is seeing Melbury Hill from my primary school playground one cold winter morning - it was one of those cloudless sunny winter mornings, and the only thing poking through the dense sea of fog on the surrounding flatter areas was Melbury, an isolated island in the mist!
 SouthernSteve 13 Aug 2016
In reply to NathanP:
> Sharpley Rocks http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/highsharpleyI.htm frying sausages on a camping gas stove with my Dad and building bracken dens between the ribs of rock.

I agree, Cademan Hill and the surrounding parts of the Charnwood district all the way over to the tourist 'fleshpots' of Beacon and Bradgate Hills are excellent small hills. I run here most weeks. Access to High Sharpley would give a great link to the Abbey potentially and then on to the Charnwood Lodge Nature reserve, a place that feels wild despite its proximity to the motorway and various towns.
 Sealwife 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Bennachie in Aberdeenshire is lovely. Lots of options up and down, traverse options, woodland, heather and open hillside.
Clauso 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I'll probably settle for Benny Hill.
marra 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

for me its DENT, all the way, right on the very western end of the lakes, just outside cleator morr / Whitehaven area, amazing views, nice and wooded, with some great wee tracks to loose yourself in, and if you go round the back, there is nannycatch lane, with a name like that, you just know you want to visit it !!, the scenery there is breathtaking, well worth a visit, but shhhh, dont tell to many people !!
 Lankyman 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Arnside Knott, Warton Crag, Hutton Roof Crags and Farleton Fell - small limestone hills with great views of the Lakes, Dales and Bowland moors, lots of interesting nooks and crannies and also some great coastal scenery round the Knott. You can even see Blackpool Tower on a clear day ....
 SC 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I always enjoy the Quantocks. Only a couple hundred metres high but the surrounding area is near sea level so it feels higher. Get up there early on a winter morning and you're guaranteed to see stags, deer and wild ponies and no people. It's also impossible to get lost with it being a north - south ridge with sea views to the north.
Also, the mountain biking is just brilliant. Some of the best in the UK.
 alimckay 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
Has to be Roseberry Topping in the North York Moors for me!
Post edited at 19:56
 Glyno 13 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Moel Famau in The Clwydian range. Somewhere I can just 'nip up' after work, in the evening, or if I haven't the time to drive further.
Lovely views too!
 Alan M 23 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Loughrigg Fell, fantastic little fell with awesome views at just over 300m high. One of my favourites!!

Big Ger 23 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
Carn Brea, not the Redruth one, though that is nice, the St Just/Sennen one.

Views are to die for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_Carn_Brea
Post edited at 23:55
 ben b 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
Lovely thread, thanks.

Agree with Hambledon Hill - as little kids we used to go up there with our grandparents and chase the blue butterflies. Happy recollections of Grammy telling stories in the sunshine - my grandfather's Blackmore Vale accent was extraordinary - dad managed to get him to record some local poetry (William Barnes) before he passed on ( as he would have put it), but I'm not sure that rich, warm burr still exists these days.

Personally I'd say Pontesford - I have walked run or climbed on it many times and it never tires. Happy memories of bivvying on the summit in the snow just before the millennium when the bell ringers were practicing in the village below.

Cheers

B
 Alyson 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> Loughrigg Fell, fantastic little fell with awesome views at just over 300m high. One of my favourites!!

Growing up in Ambleside, Loughrigg was the first hill I ever climbed and I've easily been up there more often than up any other. It was also the scene of my first proper mountain bike ride, and there's a special holly tree up there which my dad and I make a pilgrimage to every year around the 23rd December to collect a sprig for the xmas pud.

I also love Wansfell, which to my young self seemed huge and mountainous - the ascent from the village past Stockghyll felt so steep when I was little. It has a proper craggy summit, unlike the rolls and dips and tarns of Loughrigg. On a quiet morning when you get up and go for a run and have the whole world to yourself, there's no better place to sit in silence than the top of Wansfell with its views down Windermere and out to Morecambe Bay in the hazy distance.
 Fredt 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Have to stand up for the Peak: Chrome Hill and Parkhouse.
 Lemony 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Simonside in Northumberland. It's like a big mountain condensed down to a third the size. Walk up from Rothbury through farm land and into dense forests, clamber up steeply through the trees until you emerge into a col below a rocky ridgeline then scramble steeply up round the cliffs to the summit with some of the best views anywhere in the country. Great place.
 Chris the Tall 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

> Hallin Fell is a great little hill. Reminds me of Little Mell Fell; you get the most fantastic views from these hills on the outskirts of mountain ranges.

Wainwright was a bit harsh on Little Mell - "an uninspiring, unattractive, bare and rounded hump...neglected and forlorn. In truth there is little to explore". This caused great amusement on a recent trip with a group of friends, one of whom was a small lass called Mel !

Found myself on Black Fell (or possibly Black Crag) for the first time recently - just south of Skelwith Bridge - a short detour on an regular (and classic) MTB route around Iron Keld. Fantastic views of the hills to the north and of Windermere etc.

Mal Grey 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:
There's a knolly hill in the rough country east of Clachtoll. The views from there across the lochan-studded land to Quinag and the hills of Assynt are amazing, and in the other direction the sea is scattered with islands. May be Beinn Poll an Tobair, or it may have been one of the smaller ones nearby. Its 30 years ago since I went there, but I remember it clearly to this day.

Closer to home, there's a hill on the South Downs called Edburton Hill. The South Downs Way bypasses its summit to the south, so hardly anybody goes there, but an almost invisible permissive path runs along the edge of the escarpment over it, high above the Weald. There's a little ancient earthwork at the top, marked as a Motte & Bailey on the map but seems more likely to be Iron Age to me. I run (stagger) up there on a weekday night after work occasionally, and its a wonderful place to be in the evening.

I've always like Loughrigg too, despite its popularity. Lovely place to potter about.
Post edited at 11:21
 Dr.S at work 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Roseberry topping is a fine hill. Best appreciated with a pork pie from great ayton
 ChrisBrooke 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Lord Hereford's Knob, 690m, because....errrrm.....it just has a funny name (and nice views).
XXXX 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Mal Grey:

> Closer to home, there's a hill on the South Downs called Edburton Hill. The South Downs Way bypasses its summit to the south, so hardly anybody goes there, but an almost invisible permissive path runs along the edge of the escarpment over it, high above the Weald. There's a little ancient earthwork at the top, marked as a Motte & Bailey on the map but seems more likely to be Iron Age to me. I run (stagger) up there on a weekday night after work occasionally, and its a wonderful place to be in the evening.

Good shout, it's a particularly special part of the Downs and I've never actually been to the top! Nearby Newtimber hill is on open access land with no marked footpaths, in which respect it's pretty rare in this part of the world. In fact anywhere on the Downs with open access land you have it to yourself. There's some pretty amazing earthworks on the North side of Kithurst Hill that aren't much travelled.

My favourite though is Blackpatch just north of Worthing (strictly speaking no access but there's a footpath close) from which the Downs seem endless in every direction. Somehow the hills conspire to cut you off, something not possible on higher tops on the main ridge. It's a pretty rare feeling in the South East.

deepsoup 24 Aug 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Everything in the Peak would qualify as "little hills" wouldn't it? I can think of a few bits I particularly like.

> If it doesn't, my nomination would be sgurr na stri- box seat view down loch coruisk into the heart of the black cuillin.

That was the first thing to spring to my mind. I was just there last week - half the height of the Cuillin itself and the views from the top are absolutely breathtaking, even by Skye standards.

I went up the western side, more or less in a straight line from the Coruisk Memorial Hut, there's a lot of fun to be had scrambling up that way just randomly picking a route through the gabbro slabs and grassy terraces.
 Chris the Tall 24 Aug 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

SO 224350 - surely the only time a grid reference has been immortalised in song

youtube.com/watch?v=LlRrdbkyV8w&
 ChrisBrooke 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

A culturally enriching video. Thanks
 Mal Grey 24 Aug 2016
In reply to XXXX:

Not noticed Blackpatch before, might have a wander up there sometime, thanks.

Newtimber is indeed lovely, as is nearby Wolstonbury. There are numerous spots along the Downs where you can escape, even a sneaky, responsible, wild camp isn't difficult.

As for the Motte and Bailey mentioned before, seems it is indeed exactly that, hadn't realised they put them in places like that as well as in populated spots.
 drunken monkey 24 Aug 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Couple of crackers there!
 HB1 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

No-one has mentioned Shuttlingsloe yet - local to me (Macclesfield) for walking/running, but well worth the visit. Views all round - Roaches, Shining Tor etc
 The New NickB 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Clauso:
> I'll probably settle for Benny Hill.

I prefer Dave Hill, although much like the Cerro Torre ice mushroom, there is the question of whether his hat is part of the ascent or not. Cesare Maestri claims he wrote "Come on feel the noise".
Post edited at 14:09
Josiahrob 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I enjoy Saintbury Hill, not far from Broadway tower. It's only about 250m above sea level, but it's peaceful and is near enough "in my back garden"

SP 1229 3840

Mike-W-99 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

No mention of the pentlands?
Very close to Edinburgh, good for hillwalking and running. In a good winter the ski touring can be surprisingly enjoyable. Some esoteric winter climbing available too.
You can see the cairngorms from them too.
 Toccata 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Winter Hill: a city on one side, a moor on another and a country park on another side. Great views across most of the North from the Lakes to Snowdon and the North sea. Riddled with mines, some of which periodically collapse allowing exploration before they are quickly filled. Suspect I have walked, run, biked and skied up it over 200 times.

Auchineden Hill: one of the best views in the UK with the bonus of some climbing in the Whangie. Nearby Finnich Glen is also a treat.

Pendle Hill: not the most amazing view or inspiring walking but more an eerie place. The M65 corridor always feels like the 'wild west-frontier' of the UK (to me) and the history of Quakers, witch burning and the like cover the hill in mystery. A pint in the Swan With Two Necks and lunch at Northcote quickly restore order.

Harborough: climbing aside, there are stunning views north and south, and much fun to be had in the old mine workings. Cycle along the High Peak trail or walk from anywhere other than the cement factory.

Castle Hill, Cambridge: barely a hill but every time I went up there I felt I had escaped from the city. Sunrises were particularly good.
 DerwentDiluted 24 Aug 2016
In reply to HB1:

> No-one has mentioned Shuttlingsloe yet - local to me (Macclesfield)

The Maccerhorn.
 Mark Bull 24 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

We were up Beinn Tianavaig on Skye yesterday: delightfully easy walking and tremendous views.
jac the lassie 24 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

I was going to put East kip but rather enjoy West kip too, so didn't put either. There the best wee humps in the pentlands though. So steep and shapely..............
 deepstar 25 Aug 2016
 Mike-W-99 25 Aug 2016
In reply to jac the lassie:

West Kip is probably my favourite of the pentlands and the first I ever snowboarded down.
 Darron 25 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

As they are local I'm fond of the mid Cheshire ridge. I'll post a nice pic when it's been uploaded. Calm your excitement.

Those little hills above the Sychnant pass above Conwy are nice too.
 petestack 25 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Heaval on Barra, the Sgurr of Eigg, Hecla on South Uist and a fair number of other island hills. And someone has to say Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh for the rarity value of being a proper, shapely mini-mountain in a city, so might as well be me!

Also worth a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hughs-Scotlands-Best-Hills-Under/dp/1910745030/ (mainland volume), with an islands volume apparently to follow.
 Darron 26 Aug 2016
 Mikkel 26 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Nice thread.

I love Knock hill just north of Largs.
Used to live just below it and loved sitting up there enjoying the view as the sun would go down.
Perfect view to Arran and Bute
 Bob Aitken 26 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

I'm another fan of West Kip. It's the lowest hill on which I've seen a genuine avalanche - on the face above Eastside Farm - and the only hill of any height on which I've three times had to crawl along the summit ridge on hands and knees for fear of being blown off the crest.
 Mike-W-99 26 Aug 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:

And if you get your angles right it looks like a big pointy hill - http://www.prog99.com/Stuff/pano1.jpg
 Bob Aitken 26 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:
Very atmospheric Mike. I hope you won't mind if I purloin that and add it to my screen-savers !
Post edited at 15:34
jac the lassie 26 Aug 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:

I admit to having crawled up West and East kip few times because of wind too. Great wee leg stretcher after work to do scald law then the kips and back to eastside. Great hills to break new boots in on too.
 Strachan 26 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Another vote for Shutlingsloe, and a mention for Bosley Cloud. Very accessible, and therefore often busy, but great views and an interesting little peak. Also some great road cycling on the various surrounding climbs.
 mbh 26 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

St Agnes Beacon is only little but doesn't seem so if you start with your feet wet. I have run up and down it every which way, and the views are great.
pasbury 31 Aug 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Lord Hereford's Knob, 690m, because....errrrm.....it just has a funny name (and nice views).

Lord Hereford's knob is too big.
 JohnnyW 31 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I have always liked Ben A'an in the Trossachs, which punches above its weight for views vs elevation. Does tend to be busy though, and the clear-felling and path work currently is a mess!

Another vote for Dumyat as a local hill, (which looked lovely from a hazy Ben Cleugh yesterday), and also one for the Meikle Bin, which used to be my up-and-down-quickly hill in all weathers when I lived on Earl's Hill. Oh, Earl's hill too....
 lummox 31 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Baildon Moor. Less than 300m of hill. Extensive views over Leeds/Bradford to the South, the Pennines/Haworth hills to the West and the rest of Rombalds Moor to the North. All under a mile from my doorstep.
 Phil79 31 Aug 2016
In reply to SC:

> I always enjoy the Quantocks.

> Also, the mountain biking is just brilliant. Some of the best in the UK.

I spent my early teens MTBing across the Quantocks, I really love it there. I never realised how good the singletrack was until I moved elsewhere!
Wulfrunian 31 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I loves Brown Clee I does. At 536m this dollop of a hill is Shropshire's highest point and is the place to go for relative solitude when the hills around Church Stretton are teeming with people.

Despite visiting the area frequently since childhood and being only an hour or so's drive away, I hadn't actually walked much in the Malvern Hills until this Monday. Small in stature but big on views and effort! Did an out and back across the tops from Chase End Hill at the southern end to North Hill at the...er...northern end and managed to clock up 18 miles and 1600m of ascent! Surprising.
 Al Evans 31 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Another vote for Shuttlingsloe, 'the Matterhorn of the Peak'. There used to be a good local fell race up it anually, don't know if it still goes on?
mysterion 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Agree, the Malverns are surprisingly good training hills.
 GrahamD 31 Aug 2016
In reply to mysterion:

> Agree, the Malverns are surprisingly good training hills.

The Malverns are surprisingly good, full stop.
 LittleRob 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

As it happens we were invited to a BBQ in Earl Sterndale at the weekend, so took the opportunity to nip up Parkhouse Hill. The views from the top are lovely and it is indeed a little gem, so thanks for the recommendation.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...