UKC

camping sites in northumberland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
marra 15 Aug 2016
hi guys, I hope this is the correct place for this.
I am looking to take the missus over to northumberland next week, tuesday till thursday, can anyone recomend a half decent campsite, preferably somewhere near lindisfarne / bamburgh castle sort of area, wild camping out Im afraid, she wants some luxury !!
also must be pet friendly, for a small, quiet well behaved dog, and not charge me a fortune, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 Andy Johnson 15 Aug 2016
In reply to marra:

We stayed at Warren Caravan and Camping Park a couple of years ago. Decent family camping site with a small shop, washers/dryers, clean showers, etc. Allows pets. A few minutes drive from Bamburgh, and good beach access nearby at Warren Mill. Epic sunsets when we were there.

http://www.meadowhead.co.uk/Waren-Home
 Ramblin dave 15 Aug 2016
In reply to marra:

We stayed at Bluebell Farm in Belford last week:
http://www.bluebellfarmbelford.com/

Good location - effectively in the village (with Co-Op, pubs, chippy), near Bamburgh, Berwick etc. Decent site, well maintained, it's small and mostly full of static caravans but they didn't seem to have the uptight, petty mentality that often goes with that. Dogs seemed to be welcome although the place has a massive population of semi-tame rabbits, ducks, swans etc so possibly not so great if your dog tends to chase stuff.

The tourist information in Alnwick had a massive list of campsites for the whole Northumberland coast, but they don't seem to put it on their website.

Oh, FWIW (and sorry if you already know this) we thought that actually going in to Bamburgh Castle was a bit of a waste of time and money - it looks amazing from the outside, but the interior is mostly just endless collections of boring Victoriana with fairly little to interest any normal person. (Lindisfarne Castle, by contrast, is an interesting and informative collection of high class Edwardiana and is great if you like that sort of thing aren't expecting dungeons and swords.)
 Andy Johnson 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Just seconding your comments on Bamburgh Castle. Same goes for Alnwick Castle, which is very commerical due to the Harry Potter films - plus they ripped us off by waiting until after we'd paid full price to tell us that large parts of the castle were closed due to filming a TV series. One to avoid IMO.

Dunstanburgh Castle is much more impressive. Its also just over a mile walk from the nearest car park, which keeps the grockles away.
marra 15 Aug 2016
In reply to marra:

great info guys, thanks for sharing that, I was actually looking at the waren campsite earlier, after I posted this, and I had a nice feeling about that one, also the walkmill campsite, I will have to have a look at the bluebell now.
thanks for the ideas and the feedback, also massive thumbs up for the info on the castles !!, just been checking the tide times, and it looks like we are in luck for getting onto lindisfarne !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...