UKC

Great Wide Open: Danger and Death

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 15 Aug 2016

I saw the "Great Wide Open" video series episode 2 highlighted on UKC a few days ago and watched it, and episode 3, and I can't help feeling that the series seems obsessed with danger and death and risks and pushing limits and a tonne of other things that, for me, are the exact opposite of the point, with climbing.

Questions like: "When/How do you think you're going to die?" (One I think Alex H. really answered very cleverly, in episode 3, but it was also in Episode 2, which reinforces my impression of the silly morose tone of the show.)

Why? I don't get it. Is it to make climbing seem risky or more extreme in some way? Is it to say that those of us who don't simul-climb, don't go super-light, actually plan to be down before dark for safety reasons, and don't solo aren't tough enough?

(I don't have too much against simul-climbing, honestly, but when you're not actually placing any protection (in episode 2, the video sort of suggested that they were going too fast to bother with much protection) you might as well go solo without the rope. That way, if one of you falls, you don't both die.)

When did climbing become about pushing to the very limits? When did success become about how much risk you took?

EDIT: Also, all the constant comments of how "scary" everything is...
Post edited at 14:57
 ChrisBrooke 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Climbing is about none of, and all of those things. It's about whatever it's about *for you* and no more. Try not to judge, begrudge, or diminish what it is to others.
 Stone Idle 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

The answer is in the first line of your item. It's a commercial video and obviously would not sell via a stiff upper lip. It's go to have epics, be gnarly and emphasise the hard man credentials of those who face both danger and suppositories.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...