UKC

Oread (Derbyshire) MC New Members'/ Beginners' Meet - September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 15 Aug 2016
Date: 9-11 September
Number of spaces: 20 including existing members and leaders (I am hoping for a 1:1 ratio of existing and new members but will partner people up based on experience).
I am organising a New Members'/ Beginners' meet for the Derbyshire based Oread Mountaineering Club in North Wales for the weekend of 9-11th September. The goal of the meet is to provide some of the existing members who have only recently joined the club or people who are interested in joining to get involved on a meet where they are not the only new member present.
The planned format of the meet is largely similar to most club meets in that we will drive over to the club's hut in North Wales on the friday evening, go climbing/ walking/ scrambling both days (weather and enthusiasm for wet rock allowing) and then head back home on the sunday evening. The saturday night will involve a group meal and a cake cooked to a suitably Oread approved recipe (there are often cakes on meets, they usually disappear quickly so I assume they're quite good!) as well as getting to know everyone over a few beers.
If you are already an experienced leader/ walker, that is fantastic and you will be more than welcome to attend, if you have only climbed indoors and are looking at making the transition to outdoor climbing you are again absolutely welcome on the meet. The only requirements are enthusiasm and that you know how to belay and tie in with a suitable knot if you are planning on climbing as the club's role is not an instructional one, although many members will be happy to explain how they do things if asked. Where there has been sufficient interest from club members the club has previously organised training and it is possible that this could be done in future if there is sufficient demand.

Date: 9-11 September
Number of spaces: 20 including existing members and leaders (I am hoping for a 1:1 ratio of existing and new members but will partner people up based on experience).
Cost: Hut fees have been waived for the weekend, communal meal will be no more than £3 per person. The main cost of the weekend will be your share of the fuel (probably around £15-20 per person depending on where people go climbing/ scrambling/ walking over the weekend).

If you are interested in attending the meet please send me a message through here, if possible I would also appreciate it if you could please provide me with any dietary requirements and let me know if you will need or can offer a lift, and if so from where. If you are missing equipment such as a helmet don't worry, I will find you one to borrow for the weekend.

The club has an active meets schedule including monday nights at The Climbing Unit in Derby, wednesday evenings in the peak district (other evenings are often informally organised as well), weekend meets and occasional longer trips all of which can be found here:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rtek2mgv8a70774actd7ctupgs@g...
The meet will be based at the club's hut in Rhyd Ddu:
http://www.oread.co.uk/info/welsh-hut
If you enjoy the meet and decide to join the club as a consequence the procedure for joining is quite simple and just requires you to get one club member to propose you and one second you for membership of the club, this procedure is just to ensure that members are not going to trash the huts or give the club a bad reputation.
OP spenser 02 Sep 2016
In reply to spenser:

Bump
There are still 6 spaces left on the meet so if you are interested in coming along you are welcome.
Kind regards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...