UKC

Super steep juggy sport routes in the mid grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liamhutch89 15 Aug 2016
High 6s or low 7s, either steep and continuous or with big roofs. Would love to try something like this.

Have read about filey brigg, how are the bolts and conditions currently?

Any other recommendations preferably in the north would be great
 Misha 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:
Kilnsey, though the really steep stuff kicks off at 7b+
OP Liamhutch89 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Misha:

Thanks I will surely check Kilnsey out but I don't know if I'd even dog my way up 7b+ yet as 7a+ is about my 'redpoint' limit
 Nige M 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Taking the Mick and Smooth Torquer at Kilnsey are both 7a+; both are very steep and both are very good.

Taking the Mick (7a+)
Smooth Torquer (7a+)

Andy Farnell 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89: This, and the routes around it should fit the bill.
Rubicon (7a)

Andy F
 Stuart S 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Depends on whether you're referring to the north of the UK, or the north of England, or if you're prepared to travel, but there are loads of steep, juggy routes at those sorts of grades on the NE Scotland coast, south of Aberdeen. Have a look at crags such as Boltsheugh, Clashfarquhar, Portlethen, The Keel and The Fin.

It's a case of quantity making up for quality, mind! I'm not sure I'd recommend travelling far for just one of those routes/crags, but you'll certainly not be short of things to go at if you do make the trip!
 tmawer 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Not world class, but some steep climbing at panorama crag and maughton nab might wet your appetite?
 zimpara 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:
Raw Deal (7a) is very steep.

Fats Waller (6c+) is impossibly steep
Post edited at 09:38
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Loup Scar has some good ones - I enjoyed this:

Slap Happy (7a+)
In reply to tmawer:
Was going to recommend Panorama Crag (Austwick) myself. Went for the first time recently, can't wait to go back!

Also Pulp Friction (6c+) at Giggleswick North has a pretty steep lower section. Definitely going to give it a crack on my next visit.

And the Hollywood Bowl section is mega steep, but most of the routes exceed the grades you've requested.
Post edited at 10:27
 Ally Smith 16 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Raw Deal (7a) is very steep.

You really need to recalibrate what you think is steep - Raw Deal is only about 20-25 degrees overhanging at the top.

To the OP - Filey is excellent fun, and the bolts are absolutely massive! 20cm long bits of threaded rod glued in - probably one of the most rugged bolting methods i've ever seen.
 luke glaister 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Not the north but steep as u like and brilliant is The Raven (7a+)
 Ian Bell 16 Aug 2016
In reply to luke glaister:

Would have thought a lot of routes at Foxhole (Gower) would fit the bill.
 luke glaister 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Bell:

I've never been there Ian. But have been told it's worth a look. Steep and juggy.
 jkarran 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:
Far right end of Kilnsey has a few
Rubicon (7a)
Filey has a real gem in watkins ale (6b+) if it's still there (ignore the grade, it fits your requirements)
jk
Post edited at 12:37
 zv 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Under the boardwalk 6c at LPT. The Refrain 7a+/7b just to the left of it. Nightglue 7a+, juggy start, technical afterwards.
 Ian Bell 16 Aug 2016
In reply to luke glaister:

yep your sources are correct, steep and juggy. non tidal but nicely close to the sea as well and best of all has a nice cafe / ice cream shop at the parking. perfect Gower combo!
 James Malloch 16 Aug 2016
In reply to zmv:

> Under the boardwalk 6c at LPT. The Refrain 7a+/7b just to the left of it. Nightglue 7a+, juggy start, technical afterwards.

Can't comment on nightglue having not been on it, but the others really don't fit the requirement, surely?! They're technical and nearly vertical bar a few bits which I wouldn't really describe as juggy.

The boardwalk had some slopers and a mantle near the top whilstthe refrain had an awkward top move to a little crimp followed by a mantle...
 Owen W-G 16 Aug 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

Foxhole on the Gower has plenty. Did a 6c and a 7a there last week which were the steepest things I've ever climbed.
 AJM 16 Aug 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

Boardwalk and nightglue are basically vertical aren't they? Night glue has a bulge but it's not continuously overhanging?

Promenade and some bits of dancing ledge at swanage (Mexican wave etc) fit the bill aside from very definitely not being in the north. Lulworth too if dws is your bag.
 zv 16 Aug 2016
In reply to AJM:

True gently overhanging, however generally on good holds. This was the closest I could think of in this grade range in the UK.

I imagine there would be some stuff in the Cornice as well but I am yet to venture there.
 Kevster 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Probably in the wrong part of the country.
Mexican wave, dancing ledge, swanage. 7a+
Some of the promonade, swanage
Brean down has a more gentle continuous overhang, 7a and up.
Chee dale?

Bulls Crack 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Yosemite Wall at Malham...big holds all the way!
 stp 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Awesome Wal!s Sheffield and The Foundry. Best steep climbing, particularly in the lower grades is all indoors in this country.

Then go to Kalymnos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...