UKC

INTERVIEW: The Unsung Hero #2: Simon Richardson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 18 Aug 2016
Simon Richardson, 5 kbIn the small world of British climbing, it's easy to assume that you know of everyone and their exploits, especially in your local area. There are, however, a number of unsung heroes operating below the social media radar; not only climbing cutting-edge grades but also venturing into the unknown, putting up new routes and discovering untouched rock in all corners of our tiny island.

Simon Richardson is one such individual. I investigated Simon's lifetime of lesser-known achievements, his contributions to the climbing community - which are surely worthy of more recognition - and his thoughts on the state of Scottish Winter and British Alpine climbing.

Read more
 Steve Perry 18 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article, well done Simon!
 jonnie3430 18 Aug 2016

Great article, well done UKC, good to get the winter psych early!

Looking forward to the book as well, be interesting to see what impact that has!
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Great article, well done UKC, good to get the winter psych early!

Thank god it's not just me that's psyched!! I was wondering if I was going mad.

Great article Nat and Simon. Can't wait for the book!!

Rab6t 18 Aug 2016

Great article and thanks to Simon for his efforts with scottishwinter.com, which gives both inspiration and detail for some exceptional climbing in Scotland. I look forward to getting hold of 'Chasing the Ephemeral'.
 pneame 18 Aug 2016

Great stuff - impressive and inspiring.
 hwackerhage 18 Aug 2016

A great article/interview, thanks! I am one of the very lucky climbing partners. Two things that I would say about Simon: First, Simon loves climbing and exploration and his first ascents are just a result of that and not the main driver. Second, he is a master of Scottish winter climbing tactics. When (almost) everyone else stays home because of atrocious conditions then Simon will walk in and find a sheltered, frozen cliff and start another adventure. Looking forward to his book “Chasing the Ephemeral” as it is about winter climbing tactics combined with a description of 50 routes for different conditions.
 Sean Kelly 18 Aug 2016
I remember him new-routing when the climbs on Aonach Mor were first developed and as you note, he is one of those climbers under the radar but still actively putting up some staggering lines in many diverse locations. Looking forward to that book when it comes out. Great article.
Post edited at 19:57
 Rich W Parker 18 Aug 2016

The thing that struck me when becoming aware of and learning about Simon Richardson is that his time management skills must be outstanding.
 TobyA 19 Aug 2016

Great article. Exciting to hear the book is coming out!
 JR 19 Aug 2016

Brilliant!
 profonrock 19 Aug 2016

Great to hear about all you've been doing, Simon. Loved climbing our E3s/E4s at Avon, Cheddar, N Wales and Devon when we were at Oxford (we each bought one Friend, if I remember, so there were some quite hairy ascents), that brilliant 4 days on the Ben, as well as the N Face of the Droites in winter. Drop me an email on patrick.bailey@hotmail.co.uk if you want to make contact.
 jcw 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Rich W Parker:

In addition he and his wife, who works part time, have brought up to most successful children. And for 25 years he has given up one of his precious long weekends to take an old fart climbing in Scotland!
 BnB 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Exactly what I was thinking. Climbing is so often associated with monomaniac obsession that it's a delight to read about a renaissance new-router!! Reminds me of some of the pioneers. I hope Simon takes that as the highest compliment.

During the winter of 2013, realized that 'my line' on Arran would be in, all my regurlar partners couldn't make it!

In desperation emailed Simon, within the hour he replied yes!!

For someone I'd never met (other than email), drove down from Aberdeen, spent an Easter weekend camping and sent my line! I was exstatic, contented, not Simon - there's another line to the right.......

A true gentleman in the mountains

Stuart

rogerwebb 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Stuart the postie

> Simon - there's another line to the right.......

> A true gentleman in the mountains

Summed up in just over two lines!
 Raymondo 22 Aug 2016

It’s a small world sometimes. I live in Brisbane, Australia and picked up 2 or 3 Mountain Books from a second hand store a few months back.
I just started reading one of them this morning on the train journey to work : Ben Nevis Rock & Ice Climbs 1994, as one day I would like to do (again) some winter climbs there.
Just read the above UKC article in my lunch hour, low and behold, the author is one and same person.

Spooky or what !
 LeeWood 20 Oct 2016

Quote: The weather was so bad that the avalanches went uphill.

is this for real ??
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes, it is difficult to believe. Avalanches were sloughing off all the time in the storm, and the wind was so strong it blew them upwards
 LeeWood 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Simon Richardson:

sounds atmospheric :o !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...