UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Unknown - Dave MacLeod

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Aug 2016
The Unknown - Dave MacLeod, 3 kbFor Dave MacLeod, the Unknown is a catalyst for exploration and pioneering first ascents in his native Scotland. Growing up in Glasgow, his local haunt Dumbarton Rock provided him with an unlikely playground upon which to build his climbing career. Dave has since cemented his status as one of Britain's most accomplished all-round climbers: 8B+ boulders, 9a sport climbs, E11 traditional and XII 12 mixed routes – all first ascents at or near the cutting edge of each discipline.

In this latest video by Dark Sky Media, Dave makes the first ascent of Ice Burn E8 6c at Kintra on the Isle of Mull (UKC News Report) and talks about exploring the Scottish landscape in search of new climbs.

Read more
 Wft 19 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely video, wholeheartedly relate to that early feeling of disovery-on-your-doorstep that just clicks something in your head.

The beauty of climbing is that while new routes at Dave's level are above the majority of climbers we can still find a variation on the unknown by onsighting
 jimjimjim 19 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

"The unknown" as he grabs a chalked up ticked marked hold. Not dissing just observing
Dave is quite clearly the man.
 pscdnlh 19 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent video, thanks. But it's a shame I could hardly tell what he was saying due to the overloud background music. Or maybe it's just my hearing's on the blink.
 natetan 21 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That route looks amazing!
James Jackson 21 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I'm having a slow moment - what are we looking at in the first 'snowy mountain' view (around 01:05)?
 Michael Gordon 22 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Stunning looking line
 TobyA 22 Aug 2016
In reply to James Jackson:

Ben Lomond? Can't remember from when I watched but it's Lomond most easily seen from most parts of Glasgow. I discovered you could see it from the upper floors of the uni library, so pretty internet, that was my way of checking winter conditions!
 CurlyStevo 22 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Nice video Dave
 Robert Durran 27 Aug 2016

Aonach Beag?
James Jackson 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I did wonder that initially, but I can't make it fit with my recollection of the mountain. If it's the east side, then I can't reconcile the view with the remainder of Aonach Mor which would be on the right of the shot.
 Mark Bull 27 Aug 2016

I think it is Aonach Beag at the back with the Stob an Chul-choire ridge of Aonach Mor on the right - its summit ridge is in the clag.
 chrisprescott 27 Aug 2016

There was a little bit of creative licence going on with the mountains, it's the view looking south from Dave's front garden in Roybridge towards Aonach Beag and Aonach Mor. Not a bad view to look out on every day!
James Jackson 28 Aug 2016
In reply to chrisprescott:
Thanks for the confirmation - Shows how the aspect changes one's recollection greatly; I'm normally right underneath the face looking at it, rather than a few miles away with a pair of binos!

In one sense I'm glad- I saw it and thought 'I need to go and ski there', but now I know where it is, I know I have often. However, I really need to explore the more 'remote' faces of Aonach Beag (such as the N facing one in the left of the shot), having only got as far south as the summit and associated descents from there last season.

Whatever the activity - thanks for some inspiring shots; always grand to see the mountains in any light!
Post edited at 08:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...