UKC

Couple of random questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 19 Aug 2016
Replacing the cord on old wallnuts, 7-10 what's the minimum diametre? I've used 7mm, but would like to make them much longer- 18inches and minimum thickness. 5mm would take a lead fall right?

Spare bootlaces-Replacing draw cords on rucksacks with new bootlaces or 3mm cord rather?

Where can you buy satchets/tubes of condensed milk? I know you could buy refillable condiments satchets but they're £10 and major faff.

Does anyone actually take their doss bag into the mountains on its compression sac?

Who pulls the alloy frame out of rucksacks? And why not?

Is there a better knot for tying laces than the normal reef. I realised a few weeks back that I cant unlearn how I tie mine granny knot style (feels very awkward the correct way) Blame the alcoholic mother for that!
 spenser 19 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

5mm might take a small lead fall but why make your nuts the weak point in the system? If you want thin and light try this:
http://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/slings-cord/products/5-5mm-dyneema...
Still weaker than a wire loop terminated using a ferrule once you've tied a knot.
 Smythson 19 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Cord - http://www.needlesports.com/3334/cord--and--tape.aspx

Cord cheaper, comes in any length...

Then stuck til the last - how to tie laces - youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA&

Mike-W-99 19 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Where can you buy satchets/tubes of condensed milk? I know you could buy refillable condiments satchets but they're £10 and major faff.
Any uk supermarket. Probably most french ones too (lait concentré)
In reply to Smythson:

^^ This - which may or may not be what you already do. Boots virtually never come untied on a long hill day with or without double tied loops.
 Misha 19 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:
You don't really want to replace wires on nuts with cord because placing them will be a right pain.

Also not sure the wire holes are large enough even for 5mm and I'd want more than that really. Andy K says thickness in mm is roughly strength in kN and if want more than 5kN for what is otherwise a good runner - a well placed nut 7 to 10 is meant to be bomber!

I've reslung hexes I've found with 7mm cord, that's nice and chunky. Needlesports (used to?) sell it in 1.5m lengths which was good for this purpose.
OP zimpara 19 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:
These ******* ******* useless ******* bastards who dislike everything!

Thanks lads. Good video
Have searched, shops only sell cans and 500ml bottles of condensed milk...
So 5mm mammut cord gets a massive no?
Sorry misha, the wallnuts are old roped ones. Came with cord. 6mm at a guess. What I said was I reslung them last year with seven mill cord but would go lighter and longer this time if I could.
Post edited at 23:52
 Mike-W-99 19 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I've bought condensed milk here and the continent in tubes... look harder!
OP zimpara 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

If you stopped buying it all and left some for me that would be great. Lol
So does the shop start with mmm mmmo mmmor, or aaa aaa aas assssddd...
 balmybaldwin 20 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Where can you buy satchets/tubes of condensed milk? I know you could buy refillable condiments satchets but they're £10 and major faff.

I pick them up from motorway services en-route

OP zimpara 20 Aug 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Am I being dense or are you... UHT vs condensed milk...
 balmybaldwin 20 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Oh yuck why would you want condensed milk? I haven't even seen any since the 80s
 Dell 20 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Stick with your 7mm til it needs replacing, by which time you might be able to replace with shiny new kit.

Paracord for everything non-climbingy. Laces lanyards and drawcords etc Cheap as chips, strong. But make sure to get the quality 7 inner strand stuff.
Can get it on eBay by the metre.

Compression sack. Sure use it, unless you have loads of unused space in your bag. Just don't store it fully compressed at home or when in camp/huts.

Don't take your frame out unless the pack is designed to be able to do so. Otherwise you could be transferring stresses to other parts of the pack and weakening/damaging it.

Condensed milk? Ick! Or could get the tiny individual uht pots. Poundshop sell em in packs of 16 or 20. Store inside your cooking pot/mug, or a small Tupperware box, for travel purposes. Carry some powdered milk to make it go further. (Or just use powdered milk but not quite as nice by itself)
 radddogg 20 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Don't know about condensed milk but tubes of uht semi skimmed are on Amazon DairyStix UHT 12ml Semi-skimmed https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CKPYRQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Df7TxbY0YSYN4
 EddInaBox 20 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Is there a better knot for tying laces than the normal reef. I realised a few weeks back that I cant unlearn how I tie mine granny knot style (feels very awkward the correct way)

The reef knot based bow works fine. You don't need to unlearn the way you tie your granny knot bow, just take two seconds to work out which way you tie the second stage, i.e. do you tie the loops right over left or left over right - if you wrap left under that equates to right over and vice versa. If you do the loops right over left then you need to tie the initial overhand crossing left over right and if you tie the loops left over right... you get the idea.
OP zimpara 20 Aug 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Voila. Haha didn't mean to call you dense, just wanted to clarify.
Condensed is fantastic, huge amount of sugar, and milk for coffee, life made simple in a tube.

People drink worse things, honey, herbal red shit etc
 oldie 20 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Google Ian's Shoelace Site for a surfeit of information. Incidentally beware of lace ties where the loops stick out to each side as in the reef if you have prominent hooks on your boots.....a rearranged face can result from tangling with the hook on the opposite foot (you can redirect the loops by tying them over each other).
 Dell 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Powell LC&CC:

Awesome! I need these in my life!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...