UKC

swimming the day before bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
hey there, does anyone knows if it's ok to swim the day before indoor bouldering?
In reply to Johnnyboy106:
I'd suggest doing a leg session i.e use a float to save your arm strength...though personally I wouldn't risk it.
Post edited at 18:50
 rj_townsend 21 Aug 2016

Try it and find out. Be sure to report back - I'm sure it's a question we've all been wanting to ask but didn't feel it worth the effort.
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

thanks, am trying create a weekly program schedule, and fit in swiming, climbing, lifting, running, do you think it can be done?
 Glyno 21 Aug 2016

for the life of me, I'm trying to think why swimming a day before bouldering could possibly have a detrimental effect.
...or maybe I'm missing something?
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Glyno:

am worried either activity will affect or case injury
 marsbar 21 Aug 2016

I think it will be fine. Maybe a gentle run to the bouldering or swimming to warm up?

Or you could put the swimming in an early morning session before work/college/school etc and do the others in the evenings.

Bulls Crack 21 Aug 2016

Sav? Is that you?
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

no your mistaken

You'll be absolutely fine. Listen to your body...pain/discomfort/decrease in performance/tiredness will tell you if you are overdoing it
 Shani 21 Aug 2016
> hey there, does anyone knows if it's ok to swim the day before indoor bouldering?

Are you mad? No. Never. Not even paddling.
Post edited at 19:50
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

thanks
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Shani: 3

Why?
 zimpara 21 Aug 2016

Oh jesus. Please tell me you're not really considering swimming a day before bouldering? Very wise checking before hand.

Oh wait, you haven't swam today have you? Don't go climbing tomorrow.
Shudders*
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

no, ive been off, and trying to plan a schedule to fit lifting, climbing, swimming, and running during the week
 JJL 21 Aug 2016

The day UKC officially died.
 EuanM 21 Aug 2016

When I have a Saturday to myself I tend to swim in the morning and boulder indoors after lunch.

I think it's a good way of activating the shoulders and stretching out a bit.

Swimming (with good technique) is pretty low impact on the body.
 Padraig 21 Aug 2016

> am worried either activity will affect or case injury

And heres me thinking you were worried about "pruny fingers"!!
 Shani 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Shani:
> Are you mad? No. Never. Not even paddling.

Why?!!!

Sure anyone whose been on UKC for the past year knows you should never swim the day before indoor bouldering.

It all goes back to what happened back in 'Black April'. Personally I don't want to bring it up again (it's a bit like Fight Club), but others may be more willing....
Post edited at 21:17
 Bulls Crack 21 Aug 2016
> no your mistaken

Liking you work here
Post edited at 21:21
 stu7jokes 21 Aug 2016

Indoor or outdoor swimming?
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Shani:

thanks for replying really helpful, in your opinion what can I do in term of a workout, the day before bouldering? or do i rest?
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:

indoor swimming
 aln 21 Aug 2016

I like swimming to the boulders, it's a good warm up. Then I usually try to swim up the problems, that's not good for anything, it's just bad technique.
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

I don't understand what you mean by?
Graeme G 21 Aug 2016
(S)He's taking the piss. Your OP marks an all time low for UKC. Jeesus! And i was worried about the
Olympics......
Post edited at 21:49
 John Kelly 21 Aug 2016

White Water (E2 5c)#photos

Combine the two perhaps
 aln 21 Aug 2016

by what?
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

i see, will thanks again...to all, if anyone have any ideas if i rest or do a workout prep day before bouldering, just let me know
 Padraig 21 Aug 2016

> i see, will thanks again...to all, if anyone have any ideas if i rest or do a workout prep day before bouldering, just let me know

If I were you ....I wouldn't wait up
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Padraig:

Thank you
 Brass Nipples 21 Aug 2016

Welcome back mountain spirit.
Graeme G 21 Aug 2016

Either that or quite a good troll?

7/10....not bad
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Will do
Johnnyboy106 21 Aug 2016

good idea, ta
 Big Ger 21 Aug 2016

Depends, what are you planning on eating each day?

Not rhubarb obviously.
 zimpara 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

That's the interesting thing about rhubard
 Brass Nipples 21 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

And custard

bouldery bits 21 Aug 2016

Go canoeing before bouldering. It'll help to activate all of your nodes or something and has the added benefit of defizzing your chakras which is key for a good sit start.
 John Ww 22 Aug 2016

> hey there, does anyone knows if it's ok to swim the day before indoor bouldering?

Definitely not if it's your time of the month - you'll get stomach cramps and drown!

JW
 FactorXXX 22 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:

Definitely not if it's your time of the month - you'll get stomach cramps and drown!

Even if you don't drown, you'll leave a trail of shame behind you!
 UKH Forums 22 Aug 2016
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Bouldering
The place to discuss your latest boulder problem, your next trip to Font, or which grading system should we use anyway. As long as it doesn't involve a rope, then this is the place to talk about it.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 slab_happy 22 Aug 2016

> i see, will thanks again...to all, if anyone have any ideas if i rest or do a workout prep day before bouldering, just let me know

Lots of people have been joking around here, but (speaking as someone with Asperger's syndrome who understands why taking things too literally can sometimes be a problem ...), here's the basic deal:

There's no inherent reason at all why swimming the day before bouldering would be a problem (which is why people are puzzled/amused at your original question).

If you're trying to fit a lot of different physical activities (climbing, swimming, running and weightlifting) into a schedule, then you may need to think about how you space them out and when you need to have rest days. That will depend on how your individual body recovers and how much rest you need, so you have to listen to your body and adjust things accordingly.

For example, you may find that if you go out and totally thrash yourself in a workout, then try to climb the next day, you're still tired and don't perform as well as you might like. Or you might find that a swimming session is non-strenuous enough that it doesn't cause problems. Or you might be one of those annoying people who can train hard almost every day and thrive on it. All you can do is experiment and see what works for you.

(Sorry to spoil the fun, everyone. As I mentioned, I am personally conscious that some people can find it hard to tell when others are joking or be vulnerable to taking things too literally, for a variety of reasons. Maybe the OP's trolling. Maybe they're not.)
Graeme G 22 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

> (Sorry to spoil the fun, everyone. As I mentioned, I am personally conscious that some people can find it hard to tell when others are joking or be vulnerable to taking things too literally, for a variety of reasons. Maybe the OP's trolling. Maybe they're not.)

You make a very good point. I'm almost feeling quite guilty now. Just assumed it was someone asking a really bizarre question or a troll.
 ClimberEd 22 Aug 2016

> You make a very good point. I'm almost feeling quite guilty now. Just assumed it was someone asking a really bizarre question or a troll.

They should have said 'if I do a hard swim session the day before bouldering, is it likely to impact my bouldering training?' or somesuch.

That would have been clearer, and less open to piss take.

As to the original question - depends how hard you swim, but after hard swim sets my arms ache for a couple of days.
 RockSteady 22 Aug 2016

Two things to think about:

(1) Could tire your shoulders or triceps a bit versus having a rest day before bouldering, probably no big deal;
(2) If you're bouldering outside, will prolonged immersion in water soften the skin on your finger tips? I find the thing that impacts my performance outdoors the fastest is wearing through my fingertips skin. I'd be a bit worried that swimming the day before climbing would exacerbate this.
 marsbar 22 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

> speaking as someone with Asperger's syndrome who understands why taking things too literally can sometimes be a problem ...

> I am personally conscious that some people can find it hard to tell when others are joking or be vulnerable to taking things too literally, for a variety of reasons.

Me too. You explained it better than I could, but that's exactly what I was thinking.

And if the op is a troll then it's in poor taste.
 slab_happy 22 Aug 2016
In reply to RockSteady:

Tangentially -- not relevant to the OP because they're talking about indoor swimming, but might be of interest to others -- I've found that outdoor swimming sometimes does a good job sorting out any minor climbing-related tweaks and twinges, I presume just because it's prolonged immersion in cold water.

Forget the ice bath, just go swimming in the Serpentine in May ...
 stu7jokes 22 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

> (Sorry to spoil the fun, everyone. As I mentioned, I am personally conscious that some people can find it hard to tell when others are joking or be vulnerable to taking things too literally, for a variety of reasons. Maybe the OP's trolling. Maybe they're not.)

Nowt wrong with a bit of gentle ribbing, though. How else is one supposed to get the hang of it?
 Dave Garnett 22 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

> Forget the ice bath, just go swimming in the Serpentine in May ...

Only if you have been outdoor bouldering, obviously. Indoor bouldering, indoor swimming.

Jeez, do keep up, it's not rocket science.
 Trangia 22 Aug 2016

Swimming is ok but avoid using stairs...
 slab_happy 22 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:

Yes, but the person being ribbed has to be able to recognize that it's joking and sort out the serious answers from the comedy ones, which is not invariably the case ...
 marsbar 22 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:

That's fine face to face, with people you know, but on the Internet with strangers it's too easy for one persons gentle ribbing to become several and then it's too easy for it to cross the line into bullying.
 ClimberEd 22 Aug 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:

> They should have said 'if I do a hard swim session the day before bouldering, is it likely to impact my bouldering training?' or somesuch.

> That would have been clearer, and less open to piss take.

> As to the original question - depends how hard you swim, but after hard swim sets my arms ache for a couple of days.

What on earth is there to dislike about that?!
 biscuit 23 Aug 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:
Because you're effectively saying the op deserved it. It wasn't me that disliked it btw.

People commenting about the op marking a new low in ukc history should decide which behaviour is lower. Posting a nieve comment or taking the piss out of someone you don't know via the Internet.

And please don't say it's just banter.

The way I explain things like this to my kids is that if you wouldn't talk face to face to a stranger in the street like that then don't do it on the Internet.

I wouldn't do it.... but I have an artificial leg made of salt.
cb294 23 Aug 2016
In reply to biscuit:

I rather side with ClimberEd, silly questions deserve silly answers, on the street as well as online. If you want a proper, sports science based answer then go and ask a precise question. The amount of detailed, knowledgeable answers you will get on this forum is better than on any other I use (actually, more likely previously used, for precisely that reason).

I have seen nothing on here that crossed the boundary towards bullying. On the contrary, slab_happy even posted a helpful explanation for the OP and the other posters, so they can make sense of the joking.

CB
 Morty 23 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> Me too. You explained it better than I could, but that's exactly what I was thinking.

> And if the op is a troll then it's in poor taste.

That'll be the chlorine.
 biscuit 23 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

So you'd be that sarcastic and rude to a stranger on the street who has asked what (in your opinion from a standpoint where you already know the info they're asking about) is a daft question?

Then when others join in with the 'in joke' the other person is not aware of you'd carry on. Then when someone explains this person may not have the ability to comprehend your piss taking you'd explain it away as their fault for being ill educated in that area in the first place and daring to ask a question that to you has an obvious answer.

Cool. Just glad you weren't my maths teacher!
Graeme G 23 Aug 2016
In reply to biscuit:

> if you wouldn't talk face to face to a stranger in the street like that then don't do it on the Internet.

But isn't that what the internet is for?
cb294 23 Aug 2016
In reply to biscuit:

In a way, as I don´t consider a sarcastic answer more rude than annoying me with a stupid or lazy question. Hard to construct a realistic example based on a question, but e.g. people informing me that there is an easy way up the back of the crag will definitely get a reply you may find unnecessarily aggressive.

Others joining in and a thread diverging from the intentions of the OP is normal. This is a risk you take by posting to all forum users at once, you may get different replies that can change the dynamics. The good thing is, you can always walk away if this happens (unlike on the street). Ask the same question by email, and you will most likely get a polite question back (potentially starting with "What do you really want to know?").

But even with multiple people replying, don´t you think that if the OP reposted their question, stating e.g. that they want to improve their bouldering grade to some serious level at which training schedules make sense, but also love swimming, and would therefore like to know in which order they should schedule their training, they would get knowledgeable and helpful replies on here?

Anyway, I agree that I would not make a good school teacher. I do, however, love the teaching part of my job at university, where I can expect my students to have engaged their brains before asking (and they are mature enough to be told exactly that: Ask anything, but show me you made an effort to understand!).

CB
 biscuit 23 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

I take your points but this is not university. This is a simple question from someone with no profile. They may be 10 or 50, educated to a high level or not.

I try to deal with people differently in different situations and consciously try to empathise with them. Not expect them to have done X,y and z beforehand as they may not have the opportunity/skills/ability to do so.

We've all had the 'There's a path over there!' Comment. I used to spend a bit of time at the Bowderstone. Every session I'd have the ladder pointed out to me. As it always came with a smile and good intention I joined in. It didn't hurt and made everyone feel better. If I responded aggressively I'd feel a bit ashamed of myself. I can't actually fathom why you would get angry about it. Life's too short.

Anyway, I don't think anyone has ever managed to change somebody's opinion/personality via an Internet chatroom before so I shall leave it there. We obviously differ in how we approach life/people.

To the OP plenty of sensible advice has been given. There's lots of free info on the Internet about training, periodisation etc. Have a Google. Everyone is different in what they can manage so experimentation is the way ahead.

ClimberEd 23 Aug 2016
In reply to biscuit:

Actually I was trying to give a helpful answer, and showing how the original question could have been phrased to avoid abuse/banter
Johnnyboy106 23 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

thank you so much
 stp 27 Aug 2016

Swimming will stress the shoulders and the lats so if done hard enough for long enough will likely have detrimental effect on climbing the next day. However that doesn't necessarily mean that you should not do it. Many people climb several days in succession too, the training focus should be longer term than just the next day.

For skin I doubt it would be a problem. Skin seems to go back to normal within a few hours after immersion in water.
In reply to biscuit:

Posting a nieve comment...

Indeed... 'snow joke....
 Timmd 27 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:
> Nowt wrong with a bit of gentle ribbing, though. How else is one supposed to get the hang of it?

There can be something wrong, if one absorbs what slab_happy has written about some people with Asperger's taking things too literally.
Post edited at 23:35
 Big Ger 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Yes, but should we conduct every conversation on this forum in in such a way to mitigate the risk of confusing someone with Asperger's syndrome?

If the OP is by "Mountain Spirit, ( it's possible,) remember, after an initial ribbing, he was given many offers of help support and advice. If he has chosen to adopt a new name, but continue with the same style of posting, he didn't actually learn much from his original experience here.
 Timmd 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
> Yes, but should we conduct every conversation on this forum in in such a way to mitigate the risk of confusing someone with Asperger's syndrome?

The literal nature of the OP's replies had me wondering, and in answer to your question - why not just be straight forward and civil with people? Some people on here seem to manage.

> If the OP is by "Mountain Spirit, ( it's possible,) remember, after an initial ribbing, he was given many offers of help support and advice. If he has chosen to adopt a new name, but continue with the same style of posting, he didn't actually learn much from his original experience here.

Which means what should happen - do you think....that people should take the piss from him deserving it? I'm not clear on if you're implying anything. It's easy enough just to be civil, it's not like he was ever rude.

That he didn't learn anything could be down to whatever condition he might have (which could make taking the piss a much worse thing).
Post edited at 00:12
 slab_happy 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Yes, but should we conduct every conversation on this forum in in such a way to mitigate the risk of confusing someone with Asperger's syndrome?

Nope. However, unless I misread, the OP's replies seemed to indicate that they were taking some of the joking responses seriously (for whatever reason).

At that point, it seems unkind to continue deliberately confusing someone for one's own entertainment.

> If the OP is by "Mountain Spirit, ( it's possible,) remember, after an initial ribbing, he was given many offers of help support and advice.

That's not exactly what I recall happening. He did get many offers of help and advice, but also relentless mockery from people who were convinced he was a troll, despite various people witnessing that they'd actually met him and that his naive-sounding questions were genuine and sincere (I'm one of the people who's run into him at a London climbing wall, and not to put too fine a point on it, the fact that he has major disabilities affecting communication and understanding is really obvious in person).

He also got people making fun of him for saying things that other people had told him on other threads, which he'd taken literally. When he started noticing sometimes (or someone told him) that people were giving him joke replies and asking "Are you yanking my chain?", people made fun of him for *that* because they thought that was an odd or "American-sounding" phrase.

Multiple threads got deleted by the moderators because the mockery of him got so unpleasant.

Eventually, if I recall correctly, he made plans with someone to climb outdoors but cancelled at short notice (and I don't find it hard to imagine why someone with major disabilities who clearly finds a lot of things challenging might find the idea of travelling to meet up with a total stranger somewhat daunting when it becomes real rather than a dream, and panic at the last minute), at which point much of UKC seemed to declare that this was an irredeemable sin, he was a lost cause, and deserved all he got.

It was not pretty to watch.
 Big Ger 28 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

> Nope. However, unless I misread, the OP's replies seemed to indicate that they were taking some of the joking responses seriously (for whatever reason).

I didn't get that, but fair play to you.

> At that point, it seems unkind to continue deliberately confusing someone for one's own entertainment.

Some may do just that though.

> That's not exactly what I recall happening. He did get many offers of help and advice, but also relentless mockery from people who were convinced he was a troll, despite various people witnessing that they'd actually met him and that his naive-sounding questions were genuine and sincere (I'm one of the people who's run into him at a London climbing wall, and not to put too fine a point on it, the fact that he has major disabilities affecting communication and understanding is really obvious in person).

I thought the whole board, once his problems were made obvious, came round to be very supportive of him. It was a very nice thing to watch. The only people who made disparaging remarks towards the end of his time here, were people new to the board and his presentations.

> It was not pretty to watch.

Ah well, you and I perceive it differently. I saw him go from being rooted as a troll, to being liked and accepted into the fold.

slab_happy 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Some may do just that though.

Well, yes, some may and probably will. Doesn't make it a great thing to do, though.

> I thought the whole board, once his problems were made obvious, came round to be very supportive of him. It was a very nice thing to watch.

Possibly you missed some of the threads that got deleted? There were certainly individual people who became much more sympathetic, but right up until the end of his appearances here, there were threads that became such a vicious mess that the moderators shut them down.

I've always assumed that he stopped posting either because he fled or because he was advised by someone that perhaps it was better if he just didn't post here any more.
 stu7jokes 28 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Personally, I find a bit of gentle ribbing to be more humane and constructive than publicly speculating about someone's cognitive faculties.
 slab_happy 28 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:

No-one has been "publicly speculating about someone's cognitive faculties", as it happens.

I've repeatedly said there are multiple reasons why someone might take things literally or have a hard time telling if someone else is joking or not -- an autistic spectrum condition is one possible reason, but there are plenty of others, many of which have nothing to do with disability.

Maybe someone's uninformed or has been misinformed/confused by something they read elsewhere, maybe they're young, maybe they have English as a second language, maybe (like plenty of people) they just find it hard to tell people's tone on the internet.

I mentioned Asperger's just because it's why *I* happen to be particularly conscious of this issue.

The OP seemed to be taking some of the joking replies seriously; it doesn't matter why, it doesn't strike me as particularly "gentle" to keep messing someone around at that point.

For the record, though, I don't think there's anything shameful about having a disability.

You seem to think that having someone else think for a second that you *might* possibly have a disability is inherently humiliating and insulting. I don't.
 Timmd 28 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:
> Personally, I find a bit of gentle ribbing to be more humane and constructive than publicly speculating about someone's cognitive faculties.

So that's alright then. Carry on taking the mickey where somebody mightn't be able to grasp quite the nature of what's happening - so long as you're happy eh?

It's a not binary choice, between taking the mickey and posting about why it mightn't be a nice thing to do.

You could think about why it mightn't be a nice thing to do as well, so it could all happen in your head without you needing to publicly speculate, so you'd get to be even more humane. H'ray!

Then everybody's happy...
Post edited at 12:12
 stu7jokes 28 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

> No-one has been "publicly speculating about someone's cognitive faculties", as it happens.

Oh yes they have

> You seem to think that having someone else think for a second that you *might* possibly have a disability is inherently humiliating and insulting. I don't.

Nor do I. I just think it's ruder to speculate publicly about someone's state of mind than it is to take the gentle mickey - even if it's with the best of intentions.

Mr Messy 29 Aug 2016

As I have got older I do regular swim squad sessions, they were recommended by a physio after shoulder injury from climbing. I have found my shoulders are stronger. I have no problem climbing after swimming but do swim slower after climbing. They are not as flexible and supple then. Soooo swim swim swim.
 stu7jokes 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Okaaaay
 Timmd 29 Aug 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:

Pardon me for the 'grump' in my post. Got out of the wrong side of bed I think.
 Offwidth 30 Aug 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

Some superb posts there...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...