UKC

The Wake, Babbacombe Crags.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Ebbutt 23 Aug 2016
The Wake (E2 5b)
Finally had a go at the Kraken from the northern end over the weekend and got far enough to sea the totally impending and overwelming Shelter Cove. This is a massive overhanging piece of limestone straight into the sea but only has one route, The Wake E2 5b, ( Pat 1976, who else) taking the only obvious line of weakness through its centre. I can find no information on ascents of the route and am curious to know if anyone has done it or knows of is ascent? Love the idea of having a go but was very scared just swimming at its base looking up, has a very remote and serious feel despite being a 10 min swim to a beach and pub.
Any thoughts or information gratefully received.
Chris
OP Chris Ebbutt 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:
How many routes get Latin names for each pitch! ( translated)

1 Lord have mercy
2. Weeping
3. Deliver me
I assume these were given by Pat Littlejohn, but it just adds to the interest and serious adventure this route seems to radiate.
I do hope someone knows of some ascent of this clearly epic route?
Chris

Bob Moulton 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

The Latin pitch names sounded to be more likely to be Nick White than Pat! Sure enough when I checked the guidebooks, they weren't in Pat's 1983 guide and they are in Nick's 1995 guide. Who else but Nick White would introduce Latin pitch names?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...