UKC

Ash Head crag shooting restrictions dates?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Mckinlay 26 Aug 2016
Hi Folks, Anyone know where to find the Ash Head access restrictions? I've been on the BMC's RAD and on the Natural Englands site (as recommended by the guidebook/unknown stones/UKC) but can't find any exact dates of when they will close the moors for grouse shooting. It just says to avoid it during shooting season (which I will unless I can find some dates when it will be opened/closed). Its on CROW land so can only be closed for a limited time during the shooting season.

I realise it will be displayed on the access points to the moors but don't really want to travel all the way there to find out its shut! Any locals have any better info/dates?

Any help would be much appreciated.
 Anti-faff 26 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan Mckinlay:

I'm not sure when the restrictions run but the grouse season runs to the 10th of December. Swinton is a big estate and they shoot right through to the end of the season if they have a decent amount of grouse.

Might be worth giving the estate office a bell? 01765 689224
 Alex the Alex 26 Aug 2016

Hi Dan,

Im not sure about the dates but I think Paul chatted to one of the gamekeepers one time and they seemed to make out that the shooting was all to the south and SW of the crag on the moor above. He seemed fairly happy with climbers there as long as it was low key. If you approach from Roundhill or the farm parking you are mostly on fields and marked bridleways and will not cross any of the shooting areas anyway. Also dont think they shoot at all on sundays? And if there is an issue despite all this Roundhill and Clint are only a ten minute walk and Slipstones and Brownbeck are 5 mins in the car.

Hope this helps. Its class up there.
 Paul Clarke 27 Aug 2016

Hi Dan. If you visit the Natural England Open Access site there is a search facility that allows you to select any area and date you wish. A series of off files appear that give you dates and restrictions. There doesn't seem to be any current restrictions for Ash Head other than the general one relating to dogs.
However, I talked to a guy the other day and he said it wasn't impossible that new ones would appear .....
OP Dan Mckinlay 27 Aug 2016

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info, phone numbers and search stuff! Yep it looks fantastic so I'll try and get up there soon. Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...