UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Bond - Simon McCartney

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Aug 2016
Simon McCartney: The Bond, 4 kbThis week's Friday Night Video features former British alpinist Simon McCartney talking about his new book 'The Bond,' which was recently shortlisted for the Boardman Tasker Award. Simon's biography explores the bond between climbers and recounts epic tales from some of his most notable mountaineering achievements and failures as a self-confessed presumptuous youth.

Read more
 AP Melbourne 26 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Flipping brilliant that Simon and yor book's better than the one wot I rote.
Joking aside, best wishes for the award night, fingers are crossed for you and the team at Vertebrate.
BTW, if you Google Vertigo High Access our 'dopes on ropes' draped that skyscraper in a rather large banner for the HK Financial Times ad several years ago.
Can I buy a copy of your book please - with a dedication?
Oh, and what've you done on grit? Cheeky tw*t aren't I.
Hope life's good in Honkers.
Cheers,
A Loser (and not bitter, honest, I just couldn't beat your cash offer to Streaky ... Ugh).
RETRACTED ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Sorry Graham, I know you have ethics ,,,,, and I'm bladdered again.
xx

pneame 27 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That's immaculate - OMG - his dad sent him on a "climbing course" with Al Harris. And he's alive and apparently sane.
What a fabulous vid.
simon McCartney 29 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

I am really crap at social media so like homer Simpson's dad I do not know who you are AP but if you would like a dedicated copy of The Bond I would be delighted. Easily arranged. Email me 'simon@illuminationphysics.com'.
My company has an office in Melbourne BTY.
Thanks for taking the time mate.
This book writing caper is very hard work, especially if you have a day job.
simon McCartney 29 Aug 2016
In reply to pneame:

If I mess this up forgive me. First time social media homer.
If you knew Al Harris we have some tales to share. I wrote about all of it but it did not fit in The Bond so maybe later. It was certainly formative as I was 15 I think, living in Wendy's Cafe, eyes wide open. Hysterical looking back.
 Chris Harris 29 Aug 2016
In reply to simon McCartney:

> I am really crap at social media so like homer Simpson's dad I do not know who you are AP

It's Andy Pollitt.

AP Melbourne 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

> It's A**y P****t.

D'oh! Ta Chris but why did you go and spill the beans ,, was lining Simon up something hilarious there ... Cheers though, no harm done ('e'll never of 'erd of me anyway).

Lay Ho Simon (ex missus from Macau taught me that). Crikey, I hope that isn't rude!!
Well done with the latest technology - took me yonks to learn it too, yr doing just fine.
Sure, more than happy to purchase your (HOPEFULLY) award-winning tome The Bond. Shall have my people speak with yours so you can write 'f*ck off you idiot' inside and that dreadful Jon Barton chap at Vertebrate can throw one in with my next container shipment of , ahem, an award-losing diatribe about sex, drugs, fighting, living/existing in two minds ,,, and a bit more sex, fags and alcohol.
Oh! I think I may've written about a mountain climb or two too. "Cigarrettes" - the ice climb with Basher still cracks me up.
Cheers, hic,
Shalll PM you so this rabble can't sticky-beak.
Kindest regards,
Robert (read the book).

pneame 29 Aug 2016
> If you knew Al Harris

I can't say I knew him very well - he was a major force in the N. Wales scene in the 70s when I used to climb there - by far the main place I used to climb then.

My particular memory is of ending up in Al's place one evening after closing time... strobe lights, good music, good company, somewhat bizarre environment (!). I particular remember a chap sitting next to me putting together a rollie by the light of the strobes and my being amused when it just, literally, vanished. He was quite puzzled by this for a few moments before realized that it must have transmigrated to the floor during a brief lapse in concentration. My other memories of the evening are hazy to say the least.

There are quite a few on here who knew him quite well.
 Henry Iddon 30 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

It's a very good read.
simon McCartney 05 Sep 2016

mate that was a little complicated but thanks for the best wishes. The experience of publishing The Book has been extraordinary and I have connected with so many old and new friends because of it.
yes I can arrange a book with a dedication if I could just figure out how. I really am crap at social media so here is my email.
Simon@illuminationphyics.com
lets talk
In reply to Chris Harris:

Andy I just got it, 'Douuuuugh!
I am in Melbourne occasionally. maybe a beer?
Advice please,
selling books in Australia, any hot tips?
In reply to pneame:

I came out of it OK. There are thousands of words that I wrote about my accelerated growing up program in Wales. The Bond was not the book for these but if you would care to share it can only be fun or trauma. will take my chances.
In reply to pneame:

The dance of the 'flaming asshole', does this strike a chord? however painful?

email me, sounds like we have previous
 pneame 06 Sep 2016

> The dance of the 'flaming asshole', does this strike a chord? however painful?

Astonishingly this was never something I observed except in the attempting of it - this would have been in the Vags cottage in Nant Peris. Now sadly renovated for the modern generation who want showers and stuff...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...