UKC

3 mini multi-pitch adventures in 3 countries in 1 day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
How do!

Heading down from Fort William to Plas Y Brenin end of September and looking for a plan to break up the drive home...

Thought, weather permitting, squeezing a short (3 pitch ish) multipitch adventure in each country into the drive home would be nicer than the usual squeezing a short (£3 ish) service station adventure into the same three countries...

So I'm after good quality mini multi-pitch routes at or below VS on the Route back, North Wales ish, Lakes ish and probably Arrochar ish (any further north and it will be dark by then).

Will stick up a trip report if there's interest

Oliver

Martin Bennett 27 Aug 2016
In reply to 65m moderate millington:

Springing immediately to mind, bearing in mind the need for short approaches and not too far off a line from Capel Curig to Fort William:

Wales: Carreg Wastad: Crackstone Rib (S) or if you want VS: Ribstone Crack or Lion at 4c.

Lakes: Black Crag Borrowdale: Troutdale Pinnacle (S) or Troutdale Pinnacle Direct (VS)
Or: Raven Crag langdale:Revelation (S) or Bilberry Buttress (VS if you've a l-o-n-g reach

Scotland: I'm struggling here - plenty to go at on The Cobbler but it's a long long approach for a "quick 3 pitcher". I can't think of anywhere else that's on your way and has anything other than 1 pitch. How about 3 x 1 pitch routes at e.g. Auchinstarry? Loudun Hill? But by then I'd probably be thinking about a pint or two and me bed!
 alan moore 27 Aug 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Couple of 2 pitch routes at Meickle Ross?
 S Andrew 27 Aug 2016
Whatever you fancy in Wales, Communist Convert on Ravens Thirlmere, then The End at Dunkeld (or King Bee at Creag Dubh if you're early enough), and back across the Laggan road.

Martin Bennett 27 Aug 2016
In reply to alan moore:

My first thought, but it's a hell of a detour, at least an hour each way. I did it twice on the way to The Lakes when I lived in Arrochar, and later Fife, in the seventies. Thanks for reminding me of it though - been having a look and it seems to have developed tenfold in terms of number of routes and even has it's own guidebook, albeit an on-line one. It's gone on the list for a revisit after 40 years.

Ace, cheers for the replies! Loudon Hill has been somewhere I've never quite got round to visiting so I could make an exception for that maybe.

Remember failing to second Bilberry buttress a few years ago, might be a good opportunity to even the scorecard. Or have an epic. Got long arms at least!

Meickle Ross looks good, might be worth it if we're struggling for getting routes done in daylight going further north, happy to drive back in the dark after Glasgow...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...