UKC

Where to sell an old mountain bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phizz4 27 Aug 2016
I have a 20 inch framed Saracen Nzyme aluminium bike that I used to use as a road bike, with slicks fitted. i have now swapped to an old Marin Pine Mountain steel frame so I have re-built the Saracen as a 27 speed hard tail. Adverts in my local paper have either elicited no response or muppets who are time wasters. Ebay is in my bad books at the moment over problems getting my money back on a faulty drill battery, so my question is, where would you experts suggest that I try to sell it?
 Yanis Nayu 27 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Bike radar?
 kermit_uk 27 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Pinkbike i think it is or singletrack forum?
jac the lassie 27 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

For bikes I'd go gumtree.
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Pay for a premier post and put it on ukc?
 Hopevalleypaul 27 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:
If you can afford to take the financial hit, give it to charity. It's pretty hard to get anything for second hand bikes these days IMO.

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/recycling/
 radar 27 Aug 2016

Retrobike.co.uk

if the parts are original spec, the better your chance of selling. Not sure of aprice? Try the dedicated how much is xyz worth.

Now if you were selling the pine mountain and it was zolatone ( grey textured paint) you'd be fighting them off with a stick.
 MonkeyPuzzle 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Sorry, are you selling the Marin or Saracen?
OP phizz4 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Thanks for the ideas. I am selling the Saracen, not the Marin. I have just donated an old, steel framed, Dawes, to 'Bikes for Africa' http://www.re-cycle.org/donate/bike/location-search
but was hoping to recoup some of my costs (both bikes were built from scratch, even the wheels, by me). I may strip the Saracen down and sell the components, but no one wants 'old but good bits'. The Dawes had 7 speed XT thumbshifters, which were the business a few years ago but, like computer technology, times have moved on. I find the same thing when trying to sell old outdoor kit- no one wanted my Karrimor Alpinist fleece, probably because it doesn't say Patagucci or Arcterex on it.
 Siward 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Retrobike? There are some folk there who genuinely appreciate things like 7 speed XT thumbshifters!
 radar 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:
Siward is absolutely spot on. You would be surprised how much some parts exchange hands for. Then is a very big community of people buying and restoring their dream bikes from 20 years ago. Think vintage cars, but with 20+ year old mountain bikes.

If the bits were good bitd then split it and sell on retrobike. The sum of the parts will be much greater than the whole.
Simon_Semtex 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Have a look at the Facebook Group "Outdoor Gear Exchange"

30,000 members and counting. Great place to get rid of outdoorsy stuff.
 thomascarr 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Retrobike forum.
 gethin_allen 28 Aug 2016
In reply to phizz4:

I can't see you getting much for a Saracen, the name isn't one to conjure with. The old Marin may get a few looks if it was in mint condition.
The market for second hand bikes is terrible unless it's something particularly special or a steel, lugged retro frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...