UKC

Car camping near Malham Cove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 31 Aug 2016

We're heading down to Malham Cove tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew somewhere to park up for the night (sleeping in the car). I'm know things are a little stricter south of the border with roadside sleeping and I've heard there are places in the dales where it can be a bit farmer and his shotgun tapping on your window at night so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a quiet spot to park up.

Doesn't need to be close to Malham Cove itself at all just somewhere within half an hour or so

Thanks in advance
Post edited at 07:46
 DaveHK 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Sharp:

I'd say just go to the campsite. It's not expensive,as close to the Cove as it's possible to get and you don't need to drive in the morning. Otherwise, I've kipped in the car on the moors above Malham where there are a few spots.
 1poundSOCKS 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Sharp:

I think the campsite at Goredale might be even cheaper, but I've never stopped there. Just be careful if you do just park up somewhere in the car, I think there's a word of warning on the BMC RAD about climbers wild camping around the cove area.
 Jon Stewart 31 Aug 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I think the campsite at Goredale might be even cheaper

it's definitely cheap because i've stayed there. great place to camp, a nighttime wander into the gorge is atmospheric!
 1poundSOCKS 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> it's definitely cheap because i've stayed there.

Didn't realise it was that cheap!
 sammy5000 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Sharp:

Just park up near gordale. side of road kip there next to campsite won't cost a penny you won't get bothered it's not illegal to park and kip in your car. Walking distance from pub I only live a few miles away never been bothered when on a sesh!
OP Sharp 01 Sep 2016
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, we've decided to stop at the Goredale campsite...partly because of the hilarious reviews people have posted about it online, the guy sounds quite interesting!
 jon_gill1 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Sharp:

Oh you will like Malcolm!he's an interesting but friendly character. Best of all its a great location to camp and well worth it!you can enjoy a stroll into Gordale or even a climb.😊 I would recommend getting the malham and masham pie at the pub on the road that leads to the cove in the village center (cant remember the name). Have great trip!
 mark catcher 01 Sep 2016
In reply to jon_gill1: There's been a film crew taking up most of the Gordale campsite - not sure if they've gone but not the usual tranquility if they're there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...