UKC

4 Whels for the Outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Davy Gunn 31 Aug 2016
I need to get new wheels. Needs to be good on snowy winter roads and also take 3 mountain bikes in the back or on the roof so needs bars. Stuck for options. Van, estate. Needs to be very reliable for long trips. What's folks experience and best buys on a budget max £4K
 stuartf 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Young Fox:

You could try a Mondeo estate. Don't know about handling on snowy roads but they drive really nicely. With the back seats split you can get 3 bikes and 3 people inside with plenty of other space. Easy to get 2 bikes in without putting any of the seats down.
 Al_Mac 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Young Fox:

An estate with winter tyres would be a better bet than most soft roaders with road tyres, so go for something spacious and economical and you'll have pretty much all of what you need. Of course something with a bit more ground clearance allows you to park up in places where you wouldn't be able to without damaging an estate, but many standard estates are pretty reasonable with clearance, it's only when you get into the models with sportier pretentions that you find clearance really begins to suffer.
 Run_Ross_Run 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Young Fox:

If you can up the budget a bit then take a look at a Yeti.

Plenty of ground clearance, drives well, strong engines if you go for a diesel, 3 or 4 bikes on the roof etc.

The Potato 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Young Fox:

snowy winter roads - just get some snow tyres, stick a set of snow chains in the boot.
Agreed with other comment about an estate, a diesel most likely, more torque and weight which would be better in snow.
You mean roof rails not roof bars, not essential if you have an estate, or have a tow bar mounted bike rack which is much easier than a boot mounted one
OP Davy Gunn 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Thanks that looks a really good option
Rigid Raider 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Young Fox:

I would add Passat estate; there's a good reason why there are so many on the road and they are so popular with minicab drivers. I can fit 4 bikes + 4 people INSIDE mine, dismantled and safe from theft, road salt and damage. They drive well and are well balanced; the diesel engine over the driving wheels makes them great in snow even on standard tyres so on winter tyres they'd be excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...