UKC

Llanberis Food and drink

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Broome 31 Aug 2016
I've had mixed experiences of hospitality in Wales, anyone have any recommendations for eating in Llanberis apart from Petes eats.

I have some pals visiting from Germany so was keen to find somewhere decent. I'm not talking gastro but decent fayre and real ale.

My experience of the Vaynol Arms was getting told I can't order food at 8.50pm with food finishing at 9pm when my pals on the same table ordered theirs! Down the valley we had to go!

Thanks
 nawface 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

http://gallt-y-glyn.co.uk/

Pizza and a pint. Good, solid option. Booking recommended.

Believe The Heights may be good again after a rough patch.
 snoop6060 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

The food at the vaynol was the worst I've eaten for some time this past weekend. I'd honestly have rather eaten at the Spar. And don't get me started on Robinson's beer!

Seem to recall eating at the heights which was ok-ish.

Neil Williams 31 Aug 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

Robinson's "best" bitter is without doubt the worst pint of bitter I have "enjoyed". If that is genuinely the best they can do, I hate to think what their worst one is like.
 CMcBain 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

I thought the Indian restaurant was really good and reasonable well priced (Spice of Llanberis?). Wasn't blown away by some of the places mentioned above, although regrettably was always off the crag to late for the pizza and pint deal!
 Andy Clarke 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

I'm a bit reluctant to recommend it, since it's hard enough to get a table already, but I think the best place by some distance is The Glyntwrog, a couple of miles down the road to Caernarfon. Always something decent on tap and the Blue Cheese Special Burger is legendary among those in the know. Very popular with locals and people from nearby campsites, so you might want to book at the weekend. I think this and the already mentioned Galt y Glen are much better than anything else on offer.
 ro8x 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I can back this up. The blue cheese burger is ace! They also have a campsite near by if you're into that thing.

Another one would be the Bryn Tyrch in Capel Curig, bit of a drive but again, the burger there is worth it!

Rich W Parker 31 Aug 2016
In reply to ro8x:

3rd. I regularly stay at the campsite and eat in the Glytwrog. Also Wavell's butcher along the road does breakfast rolls and good coffee from 0600.
 SAF 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

I had a nice bar meal at the Royal Victoria Hotel in Llanberis last week, not somewhere I would normally have considered going for food. The choice wasn't massive, but the meal i had from their "lite bite meal" menu was excellent and good value.
 Hat Dude 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

Try the other Vaynol Arms at Pentir
OP Ian Broome 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

thanks all. Plenty to go at.
 two_tapirs 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

A group of us had some very good burgers in The Heights, no complaints at all.

If driving is an option; The Saracens Head in Beddgelert does some lovely food. It's less than 15 miles away
 Paul Ha 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

don't often leave a pint but the Vaynol must be one of the worst pubs in North Wales for food , drink and hospitality!
 spartacus 31 Aug 2016
In reply to two_tapirs:

Another vote for Saracens Head Beddgelert, although I think by far the best food in North Wales is almost next door at Hebog Eat and sleep. Trip adviser no1 in area. Fantastic food at reasonable price. Do stuff like Monk fish wrapped in pharma ham on risotto. Well worth drive, you may need to book.
 3leggeddog 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

You have to hand it to Robinsons, no one else manages to do it quite so badly.

It looks fine coming out of the pump nut by the time you get it to your lips the head has curdled and it smells like a flatulent bulldog.

It cannot be easy getting it so wrong.
 jezb1 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

Heights is ok at the mo, not great but ok!

Glyntwrog is the best should and it the Sopna a bit beyond that.
 Red Rover 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

There's a curry house in llanberis thats quite good, a lot better than you'd expect for the region (was back in 2011)
 Phil4000 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

Sams cafe in Llanberis is a good healthy alternative to Petes, no beer but top food.
 Adam Lincoln 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:
Vaynol is terrible, as is the beer!
Petes eats is like eating/drinking a tub of oil.
Heights has gone to sh*t again with the food.

Curry house gets a vote from me.
Pizza and pint also a thumbs up.
Post edited at 21:29
 Radioactiveman 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Ate at the heights in August ,it was dirty ,food overpriced for the quality.

The chippy was good and you can eat in at certain times

Pete's eats - cracking burger much better than the heights particularly given the price.

ian caton 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:
This is the place:

http://www.caban-cyf.org/

Post edited at 21:00
 jay lafferty 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Ian Broome:

spice of Llanberis is good
 gethin_allen 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Aztec Bar:
" Monk fish wrapped in pharma ham on risotto. "
Lance Armstrong's favourite I hear.

The Saracens was good last time I was there but this was ages ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...