UKC

Hitlist for the North York Moors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Read 01 Sep 2016
For those with an interest in NYMoors routes Dave Warburton has generated this wiki:

http://nymoorslist.wikifoundry.com/

Lovingly following the GritList layout (thanks Dave!)... the SandList if you like.
 Max Clarke 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Read:

This is great. Thumbs up from me!
 Dave 88 01 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Read:

Nice stuff. As my local spot now, I feel that I can say I think the climbing is god awful, but that makes me like it even more. Kinda like the british weather. Good work on the list DW.
In reply to Jon Read:
Thanks Jon. What's really good about this is that there are so many projects listed. Normally people are somewhat retentive about their big prizes, not so Franco and pals. It's a good attitude. Some of those lines look completely awesome. I should probably do something like this for moorland grit.

For old buffers like me, I'd really like a new guidebook to get me properly inspired - any chance of that? Mostly I go to Stoupe and Smuggler's to shunt stuff when I'm on the east coast with the dog but I'd love to explore more. With an actual person.
Post edited at 08:29
 Franco Cookson 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

There are movements. It may be some time. Halfthe guide is going to be brand new crags..
 Simon Caldwell 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Give me a shout if you want any help with the new guide, particularly with bumbly grade routes
 Chris Shorter 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Warburton:

Just a few little comments and corrections.

Three Screaming Popes was strictly-speaking not done ground-up. I tried to top-rope it first but never actually managed it. Realising that trying it on he lead would give me a bit more "push", I changed my approach. I think got second go. It wasn't a Headpoint but wasn't really Ground-Up either.

Shorter's Wall had a repeat from me about 2 weeks after Steve Findlay's first ascent, which I did not follow. I did it again a bit later. On one of these occasions I fell from the very last hard move, ripped a wire and went plunging down to the left and just missed a guy who had just left the ground on Fever Pitch. Fractionally missed the ground with my head too, which left my second very relieved as he was a well-known brain surgeon who had no wish to do operations in the field! When I went back up, I found that the ripped-placement could still be used but could no longer be placed on the lead.

Beowulf on Middlehead Crag. Short but so hard! Certainly not the guidebook E2 5b that it was. Maybe E3 doesn't even represent the amount of effort required. Safe though.

I've got some old pictures of early attempts on Strategem and Rock Bottom somewhere that I'll have to upload.

Best wishes
Chris

Dave Warburton 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Chris Shorter:

This is great, Chris. Thanks! Any more pearls like this?
Finally got around to Stratagem the other day. Brilliantly awkward and now clean and de-fern'd.
 Dave Warburton 03 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Read:

Hi Jon, yes i thought your grit list layout was certainly the best. I half forgot about posting it up on ukc for others to discover!

Great stuff, hopefully it ignites some interest. Might try to get some photos on to it too at some point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...