UKC

Small avalanche caught on camera.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon4 02 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Because of the foreshortening, you cannot tell how far away it is. When they run towards it for a better view, my first thought was that they need to get as far away as possible.

Certainly goes for an immense length of time, and sweeps the entire face.
OP d_b 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Simon4:

I was certainly thinking that I wouldn't want to be standing there.
abseil 02 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

"Small" avalanche?!?! You're being ironic [?], right? Anyway great film - thanks a lot for posting, PS to self, never step on a Zanskar glacier
OP d_b 02 Sep 2016
In reply to abseil:

Ironic? Nah. The whole thing was smaller than the screen on my laptop.

I heard one of them saying the face they were planning to do was OK. I wonder how much of that was wishful thinking.
abseil 02 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I heard one of them saying the face they were planning to do was OK. I wonder how much of that was wishful thinking.

'Wishful thinking', probably and too right, but in any case I think my wishes / wishful thinking will in future stick to either [1] toproping on Stanage with double ropes, and / or (better) spending all my outdoor time just going out for cream teas in Wiltshire/Dorsetshire and other shires ha-ha

Happy climbing!
OP d_b 02 Sep 2016
In reply to abseil:

I can't let a mention of cream teas go by without recommending the place at Bosigran. It has to be on any cream tea fiends bucket list.

Lack of scones is my main impediment to expedition mountaineering to be honest.
abseil 02 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I can't let a mention of cream teas go by without recommending the place at Bosigran. It has to be on any cream tea fiends bucket list....

Thank you! Will try it this year or next. (My last trip to Bosigran was made with ropes and other gear and a tent and no money... not next time!)
OP d_b 02 Sep 2016
In reply to abseil:

Next time you should base yourself at the camp site in St. Buryan & see if you can get the home made pasties from the local shop (was a Londis on my last visit). For bonus points try and be in the pub on a Thursday night after choir practice... St. Just is good too, but St. Buryan pips it for me.

On topic: Cornwall is relatively unlikely to suffer massive ice avalanches although there are serious cliff collapses from time to time.
abseil 03 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Next time you should base yourself at the camp site in St. Buryan & see if you can get the home made pasties from the local shop.... On topic: Cornwall is relatively unlikely to suffer massive ice avalanches....

Thanks for the tip about the pasties, right up my street and will do. But I'm not sure about the no Cornwall avalanches, I'm running scared and from now on I think I'll move the enormous Abseil enterprises and billions [ha-ha] into entirely flat countries e.g. the Maldives and Holland....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...