UKC

Portland 7c?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samparsons 04 Sep 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for a 7c to session for the end of the year on Portland. Shape shifter is one I was thinking about looking at before of the ease of top roping, but is there a better one?
 Climber_Bill 04 Sep 2016
In reply to samparsons:

Shapeshifter is a nice route, with fun bouldery moves, but it isn't 7c, more like steady 7b+.

If you are looking for a project to work over the autumn and winter, then something at The Cuttings would be possibly better. Both Hall of Mirrors and Nightmare Scenario are good routes. NS is a bit easier, IMO, than HoM, but both are good.

Keyboard Wall at Battleship is a good one as well, but possibly more fickle conditions in the autumn and winter.

Shining Heart at Coastguard North is very good, but again, it may be frustrating getting good conditions for it from now to the end of the year.

Anything higher up and away from the water will be a better option.

Of course, there is always Winspit and Hedbury with fairly good conditions most of the time. At Hedbury, Cinderellas Big Score is great, but get on it before the seepage there starts. At Winspit, there is lots to go at through the big roof.

Good luck.

TJB.
 gazhbo 04 Sep 2016
In reply to Climber_Bill:

Tenessee
 Climber_Bill 04 Sep 2016
In reply to gazhbo:

Yes, great route. However, not really a project route for the autumn and winter. Taking into account the fickle conditions and sun and tide requirements for that area, it is a route that is best as a spring or summer project.

As a quick redpoint / one day route, then absolutely, as one good day may be all that is needed. But it would be very frustrating to have one good day to work the route and then not be able to get back onto it for a redpoint due to poor conditions or lack of suitable tides.
OP samparsons 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Climber_Bill:

Managed to climb the shape shifter hard section twice on my second top rope yesterday just got to hope for a chance to lead it now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...