UKC

REVIEW: SNAP Wrap Original Crash Pad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 06 Sep 2016
SNAP Wrap Crash Pad Review, 4 kbA bouldering mat that feels harder or softer, depending how high your fall, the Wrap is also comfy to carry. It's a winning combination, reckons Nick Brown.

Read more
 Lemony 06 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

> The Wrap Crash Pad is an extremely versatile and durable pad and after using it for several months now, it shows no signs of giving up any time soon

Interested to know how much use it's had as the three people I've spoken to who've had one of these all found the foam going really soft in well under a year. It was enough to convince me to go for an Ocun.
 planetmarshall 06 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Worth mentioning that it's often worth buying the pads directly from Snap. Even with the current exchange rate it's cheaper than a lot of UK shops ( though I see Outside have a discount ), and they'll deliver to your door.
 afx22 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:

I've been using one for around three months now (twice a weeks or so) and it has softened up in the middle from storing it folded in the boot of my car. It's really a good idea to open it out when storing it.
In reply to Lemony:

I've been using it as my 'go to' pad for just over six months and haven't seen a noticeable difference in the foam. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Nick
 toad 06 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

> A bouldering mat that feels harder or softer, depending how high your fall

Like custard! A thixotropic bouldering mat!

dereke12000 07 Sep 2016
In reply to toad:

I had toyed with the idea of inventing a custard-filled body suit for fall protection, but my mate pointed out the obvious problems...
 Fraser 07 Sep 2016
In reply to dereke12000:

Allergy to the necessary citrus jelly liner?
 Si dH 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

> I've been using it as my 'go to' pad for just over six months and haven't seen a noticeable difference in the foam. I'll keep an eye on it though.

> Nick

What does that actually mean though - one short session a fortnight, 3 full days out per week, or something in between?
Ta
In reply to Si dH:

I've had two Wrap pads, the original, and the new 'tournedos' models. Usage weekends plus midweek sessions. Brilliant to use because of the soft/hard characteristics for sit starts and highballs.
After a year or so, I didn't notice any degradation until I stood on a brand new Wrap in Outside and realised that mine was unbelievably 'tired' in the middle, I guess I had just got used to it. Bought a new one which also started degrading pretty quickly (I was probably being more aware of it this time). Replaced it with a new Moon Saturn which I've just dragged around Font, which like previous models, just seems to be very robust. My son has a similar sized Organic pad which seems to be equally hard working and long lived.
Just as a footnote, I did get more life out of the second Wrap by shuffling the internal cells around. I've no issues with the construction of the cover and carrying system which is great. Maybe being able to purchase replacement cells/foam like you can with some other mats might help. Maybe I'm asking too much out of something I use a lot, but when other similarly priced pads are more long lived, I think it probably is an issue.
 siwid 07 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Just a question for people who have noticed this softening, is it still firm when you land on it from height?

Had my snap wrap for around 2 years now, have probably used it 1/2 times a week over that period. I've always stored it flat but noticed it had softened when standing on after around 6 months. Mine still firms up when landing on it from height though which is the whole point of the design right? Really impressed with how it's lasting, if it's soft to stand on but firms up when you need it to then it's still got a lot of life left in it I'd say.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...