UKC

£500 to spend on a compact or CSC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Fisher 06 Sep 2016
I've ruled out a DSLR on size and weight.

£500 to spend on a nice compact or CSC.

Need wide angle 24mm or wider
Manual controls easily changed
Small ish but not necessarily pocket sized

Panasonic Lx100 is my current winner.
Would. Gx80 offer much advantage? Changeable lens so possibly more future proof.

What would the Fuji users suggest at that price? Happy to go used.

rallymania 06 Sep 2016
In reply to George Fisher:

sony a6000 with kit lens?
> Happy to go used.

I've seen some brilliant photos taken with some Olympus CSCs. Secondhand would give you options for the EM10, 5 and maybe 1. Even the Pen range?

Just something for you to consider if you want to widen the search.
 Robert Durran 06 Sep 2016

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras

Scroll down to the bottom for the X-T10 with XC 16-50 lens and snap it up for £439. Expand to other lenses later. It is a superb camera.

I bought the same combination from here recently and sold on the lens since I already had various XF lenses. Camera as good as new with full warranty.
Post edited at 13:51
OP George Fisher 07 Sep 2016
Well..

After going round the internet a few times I'm leaning towards a Ricoh GR. I had a couple of GR1 film cameras and the original GRD and nothing came close in terms of handling. I just can't see myself bothering with a interchangeable lens set-up. I'll end up not carrying it at all.

I like the 28mm and I've heard nothing but praise for the quality of the images.

Oh christ, I think I should just get one and stop thinking about it.
Post edited at 12:24
 Mike_d78 07 Sep 2016

Hi, not wanting to cause you further dithering, but...........I have the LX100, which I do like. I use it for all photography situations, when a DSLR would be too big. It has full manual or auto control and is very easy change between the two. The ergonomics and UI are generally considered to be a strong point of the camera, as is the bright lens & 4K video. I use it when I'm climbing, but I didn't specifically buy it for this purpose, there are certainly tougher outdoorsy cameras out there specifically the Olympus TG models.

I'm sure the Ricoh takes great pictures to, you'll just need to zoom with your feet!

For those bucks I suspect there are no bad cameras!
 malk 07 Sep 2016
no, keep thinking- how about the Fuji X70 if you insist on fixed?
i'd prob go for a sony a6000 at that price (already have the 5100 and like using lenses tho)
In reply to malk:

The x70 looks very pretty but it seems the Ricoh does the same thing a bit better.

d_b 07 Sep 2016
In reply to malk:
I have a fuji X-30. As a result I wouldn't buy another fujifilm compact!

Lens, sensor, raw mode all good. Firmware deliberately hobbles the manual mode so it is impossible to use properly at night.

Their attitude is basically "We know best. Our marketing claims about noise are more important than your ability to take pictures". I'm going back to panasonic for my next one.

The specific problem is that they have made max exposure time inversely related to ISO setting. If 60 seconds at ISO 100 is too dark then tough. If you go to 200 you only get 30 secs, at 400 you get 15 etc.
Post edited at 14:46
 malk 07 Sep 2016

> The x70 looks very pretty but it seems the Ricoh does the same thing a bit better.

have just compared on dpreview> image quality- the Ricoh GRII is way better
In reply to malk:

And it shoots at 35mm, 50mm and a 21mm adapter available.

Like a set of primes and an Apsc sensor in your pocket.
 Robert Durran 07 Sep 2016

I hope you have carefully considered whether you want a viewfinder. With £500 to spend, I suspect any camera you get will be capable of taking really good pictures if you point it in the right direction, but a viewfinder will help you do that far more consistently and with far more pleasure. A viewfinder would trump almost anything else in my book for the sort of cameras you are considering.
 malk 07 Sep 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

if you need a viewfinder, you're shooting at the wrong time of day
 Dave 88 07 Sep 2016
The olympus em10 mkII seems to get rave reviews. Saw an article from someone who used it for mountain photography and he said it was bombproof and very capable.

The PEN range seems to do pretty well too. I've got the PEN EPL7 and even I can get good shots out of it. Takes a while to work out the menus and get it set up right, but once you do the camera doesn't interfere at all.

The other benefit of olympus (and pano) is the M4/3 lens mount which I'm pretty sure is the widest selection of lenses out there. Also body stabilisation means it's easier to use old glass with adapters.
 ChrisJD 07 Sep 2016
> What would the Fuji users suggest at that price? Happy to go used.

2nd hand X-T10.

Fantastic CSC camera to use (and I've used/owned a fair number!).

Or go fixed lens with a X100S or X100T (the X100T is also great, can't bring myself to sell it despite having the X-T10)
Post edited at 22:52
I have an Olympus E-PL5 with retro leatherette finish and use a 17mm f2.8 prime. It's really compact and image quality is outstanding. Focus is quick though not great tracking, though most csc s are inferior to dslrs in this aspect.
 Solaris 09 Sep 2016
> What would the Fuji users suggest at that price? Happy to go used.

Being a user of an X-E1 + XF18-55mm, I'm lower in the Fuji evolutionary tree of Fuji than Robert Durran and ChrisJD - not to say that I haven't been tempted to evolve, especially having fiddled with an X-T10.

It's not clear from the photos on your profile page what kind of photography you prefer, and hence what kind of camera (compact or CSC) might suit you best. But going on the fact that you are a furniture maker, then the sheer tactility and design following function factor of Fujis might make them a must-investigate-further. A friend has an Olympus EM ?10, and for my money on the design/function front, it doesn't hold a candle to the Fujis I've looked at. But each to their own.

Bottom line: If you are a keen photographer and I were you, then the reconditioned Fuji Robert linked to would seriously tempt me!
Post edited at 14:13
 Robert Durran 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Solaris:
> Bottom line: If you are a keen photographer and I were you, then the reconditioned Fuji Robert linked to would seriously tempt me!

It's gone. Some one else snapped it up! Though there is an X-T10 with the XF 18-55 for £569 and an X-E2 with the XF 18-55 for £499.

OP George Fisher 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Solaris:

I've ruled out a camera with an interchangeable lens (for now). I just find that I end up not carrying it once the initial 'new camera' thing has worn off. The X-T10 does look nice but It'll end up left behind.

It's going to be a compact, and the more I think about which cameras I've enjoyed using the most it's the 3 GR1 film cameras and the GRD I had a few years ago. All 28mm fixed, there's just something about that focal length I really like. I considered a 'travel zoom' with a massive zoom range but I think I'd be left feeling like to was a jack of all trades.

A new GR II is looking like a winner. I already know what to expect handling wise and I'm not fussed about a viewfinder, I actually like composing on a screen. I'll still shoot some medium format film when I have the time but with 2 young kids It's more a case of something pocketable that can still produce a good landscape and travel shot.

I fly to the states for a month in a week's time so It's going to have to be purchased soon.
 malk 09 Sep 2016

ok- time to stop dithering- get it now, try it out before you go and sell it when you get back if you dont like it..
OP George Fisher 09 Sep 2016
In reply to malk:

Exactly, need to get it and get used to it a bit..otherwise I'll come back with a load of iPhone pics.

Solaris 09 Sep 2016

Fair enough. I really enjoyed my GR1v.

I meant to say in my earlier post that one of the things I love about my Fuji is that it makes me want to use it, gives me great pleasure in doing so, and produces decent images too.
OP George Fisher 12 Sep 2016
Thanks for the input everybody

Ordered a GR II. My nostalgia for Ricoh cameras won in the end, it seemed whatever I did it would've a compromise in some area so I went with my gut feeling.

Best price from John Lewis with 2 year warranty and their great returns policy.

Looking forward to getting it tomorrow and figuring it out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...