UKC

Jacket for winter running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 08 Sep 2016
But big days in big hills in snow etc so:

Proper hood.
Maybe not so tight fitting for an extra layer or 2.
Full zip.
Doesn't need to be the lightest but not a walking / climbing jacket.
And not mega bucks.

What should I look at?
 plyometrics 08 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

OMM Kamleika gets my vote.
OP DaveHK 08 Sep 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

I was looking at them. I had a smock before which I liked and thought the jacket might fit the bill. Also, the cuffs look better on the jacket and that's what fell apart on my smock.
andymac 08 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:
Montane prism .

Great hood.

Maybe too warm .

Always good deals on Amazon

Edit. Montane fireball looks ideal also.
Post edited at 21:52
OP DaveHK 08 Sep 2016
In reply to andymac:

Running in a Prism? Are you mad?
 shuffle 08 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

If you can find one on sale somewhere, the Berghaus Vapour Storm is a really great running jacket for winter conditions.
andymac 08 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes.and yes.

They are a bit on the warm side.

Run_Ross_Run 08 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Marmot supa mica.
Super light, pit zips, Velcro cuffs, hood. Only problem is that I'm not sure of they are available in the UK.

Cotswolds had them. Miss mine.
 planetmarshall 08 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Arcteryx Norvan, or the current equivalent. If you can't afford it, sell a kidney. You only need one.
 plyometrics 09 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Jacket is good. My only criticism is the zip, which is incredibly difficult to engage, particularly with cold hands. Always pack mine with the zip pre-fastened, just in case.

+1 for the Berghaus Vapour Storm. Wife runs in that and it seems pretty good. Bit more sturdy structure than the OMM.
 tony 09 Sep 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> OMM Kamleika gets my vote.

I have an OMM Kamleika, and I quite like it, but try to try one one before buying - the fit and sizing is a bit weird. I'm usually a medium in most things, but the Kamleika medium is generous, to put it mildly, and the sleeves are very long.
 Ridge 09 Sep 2016
In reply to shuffle:

> If you can find one on sale somewhere, the Berghaus Vapour Storm is a really great running jacket for winter conditions.

Mrs Ridge picked one of those up for about £80 at the Berghaus outlet at Gretna. It's a brilliant jacket, but really expensive if you can't find one at a hefty discount.

Alpkit have gone into the waterproof market, so they might well be worth a look. Can't fault any of the kit I've bought from them over the years.
 galpinos 09 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I avoid running in a waterproof at whatever cost. So.....

Actually running - Arcteryx Squamish, a lot nicer than a pertex windproof, it feels nicer against the skin and is more breathable (imo)

In the bumbag (good forecast) - Berghaus Vapourlight Hypersmock, very light and small, surprisingly good

Starting in really bad weather or in the bumbag (bad forecast) - ME Firefly Smock, active shell is a lot better than I thought it would be, great cut, smock, proper hood. This is what I wore on the 2015 Highlander MM in the driving sleet and low temps, it was spot on.
 markk 09 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

For winter mountain running in Scotland I got a mountain equipment aeon. You can pick them up for £70 online if you shop around. I had similar criteria to you - esp proper hood. It's not the lightest, but it's pretty light and when the weather's nasty it works. Tired OMM, wanted to like it, but the sizing/fit was weird.

If I was looking again now I might check out Alpkit too.
 luckyjim 09 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

have a look at Sportshoes.. they re doing Inov8 raceshell for £ 77... i would buy one myself but i have far too many jackets !!
 GraB 12 Sep 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

+1 for the Kammleika. And I would recommend the Rab lightweight Event smock that I have but they seem to have stopped doing it. Shame.
 JamesSA 14 Oct 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I run on the warm side so this may not suit everyone, but I use a Marmot Ether Dryclime - a windproof with a light micro lining. It's quite similar to the lightest Rab vapour-rise, but with a better fit for running (quite a bit slimmer in the body).

The hood is snug-fitting and unlined, so you can pull it over a hat or cap to keep the wind out of your ears without overheating. When the weather turns nasty, a light softshell gilet (ME Exolite fabric) or waterproof (I've got an old Berghaus production sample, don't think they ever mad it) goes over the top.

I had one stolen from a hut drying room and went straight out to get another. The only downside is that the outer fabric is prone to snagging in the zip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...