UKC

Cairngorms midge situation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 12 Sep 2016

Does anyone know what the general midge situation is like in the Gorms? I'm heading up there on Thursday for a couple of nights and am trying to decide between tap+innernet or tarp+bivi.
Post edited at 20:40
 DaveHK 12 Sep 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

No problems at the weekend but it was blowing a gale!
 earlsdonwhu 12 Sep 2016

And when it wasn't blowing, it was pi##ing down relentlessly.
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Was all good up at Dirc Mhor. Very sheltered at the base of the crag and no sign of them.
 carr0t 13 Sep 2016

it has been rediculous. i wouldnt be seen dead without a midge net and tropical strength repellant
Rigid Raider 13 Sep 2016

Daft question really; at any time when there isn't a breeze or bright sunlight you can be sure the Caledonian Lufwaffe will be out.
OP Andy Johnson 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Daft question really; at any time when there isn't a breeze or bright sunlight you can be sure the Caledonian Lufwaffe will be out.

Well I camped in calm conditions at the Fords of Avon in early July and it was midge-free.

But for an area the size of the Cairngorms, you're probably right. With the midge season about over I was just trying to get a feel for how things are up there.

Thanks to those who responded!
 CurlyStevo 13 Sep 2016
Midges will be bad (in low wind low sunlight conditions) until there is a strong frost, that said they will start to drop off in to October somewhat but in the absence of frost they will still be a problem until at least mid October I have found in the past.

The Cairngorms in general aren't as bad as the more westerly mountains for midges, in general they get started a bit later and and don't peak in quite such high numbers as places like GlenCoe or the NW. But come this time of year they are often still annoying.
Post edited at 13:28
 Heike 13 Sep 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Well, they were absolutely dreadful on Hell's Lum a couple of weekends ago. Hideous!!! (Particularly bad for the Cairngorms).
 kipman725 13 Sep 2016

A few weeks ago in Loch Avon they were thick enough to cause me breathing difficulties as it was impossible not to breath large quantities in. Upon getting back to Avimore I overdosed on anti hystermines on purpose to abate the swelling. You cannot imagine the horror, a net will not save you any exposed skin and seams were ruthlessly targeted, they will block out the sun, stay away from Scotland till the midges are eliminated.
 CurlyStevo 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Heike:

One of the biggest clouds of midgies I've seen was later season in the cairngorms. That said I've not seem them so spread out over a large geographical area before as this time last year in assynt. They were everywhere you could see them from the car driving along, not super dense but you just knew as soon as you got out of the car you were midge food.

Glen Clova for example they aren't often a problem at all until mid June sort of time. Whilst mid may on the west coast is already becoming a bit nasty in some places many years.
 OwenM 13 Sep 2016

I was up at Derry Cairngorm on Sunday, as I parked my bike by Derry Lodge they were biting but once away from the trees it was too windy for them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...