UKC

Glencoe Marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drunken monkey 14 Sep 2016
First time running it in a couple of weeks. Anyone on here done it? And is it worth wearing trail shoes?

Cheers
 EuanM 14 Sep 2016
In reply to drunken monkey:

I did it the last couple of years but out this year due to injury.

Both times I ran in Speedcross's and would definitely wear trail shoes if doing it again. The first half especially is quite mixed terrain, boggy for a short section and then rocky on the descent into Kinlochleven. Thereafter on the WHW you could probably get away with road shoes but I'd still prefer to have trail shoes over that section.

Best of luck, it's a great event. Brilliant course and very well run.
In reply to EuanM:

Thanks Euan - I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the weather wont be howlin.

I've got some Inov8 Ultra 290's which I wore for the speyside ultra. But they are a smidgin too big and killed a few toe nails. I might go with them again and wear thicker socks, or I might invest in a pair of something else.

How were your knees after 26 miles in the Speedcross - were the shoes a little bit forgiving? I think Sport Direct have Speedcross 3's for sale at decent price just now.
 EuanM 14 Sep 2016
In reply to drunken monkey:

My joints held up fine wearing the Speedcross, the course is rough enough to justify them although a slightly less knobbly shoe might have been quicker. There's only a short stretch of tarmac through Kinlochleven which was uncomfortable to run on (I seldom run on the road). I fast walked the climb out of Kinlochleven so had time to recover.

I did the Kintyre Way 36 in Speedcross as well. I find them comfortable for long runs but not particularly durable. It might be the shape of my feet but the mesh at the toes always rips and the hole gets bigger quite quickly.

I believe the 4 has now been released so you should be able to get some good value 3's online.
In reply to EuanM:

Thanks for that - will go and try on a pair and see how they feel.

Speedy recovery with your injury.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...