UKC

ARTICLE: 10 Ways to Creatively Repurpose Old Climbing Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 15 Sep 2016
A pile of old gear...and Max, 5 kbWhat do you do once your climbing gear is past its best? The best option for getting rid of old gear would be to donate it to a charity or organisation that could still make good use of it. Old shoes can be resoled or given to climbing walls or clubs for use as hire shoes, and old ropes can be donated to dog shelters, zoos, shipyards and even art students in need.

If you've got some time on your hands and a growing hoard of old gear gathering dust, why not see what you can come up with? This article describes some creative ideas to reuse your climbing equipment in a fun and quirky way. A couple of these ideas verge on the ridiculous, but you can't say I didn't try...

Read more
 Juicymite86 15 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Scavenger do a range of gear made from recycled things, pretty awesome
 Rick Graham 15 Sep 2016

All very pretty

Now the skinflint bodger in me realises that so many things can be fixed for free with old climbing gear and stuff out of building site skips.
 Tommyads 15 Sep 2016

Didn't read the article just wanted a closer look at your dog.
 GrahamD 15 Sep 2016

Most of that retired gear looks much newer than my best kit.
 ianstevens 15 Sep 2016

Protip: Chalkbags can also carry beers before retirement, for a belay beverage. A beerlay, if you will.
 snoop6060 15 Sep 2016

A pile of old gear???

Those ropes in the first pic look brand new, they've not even been cut.
 ActionSte 15 Sep 2016

More dogs on UKC please
 treesrockice 15 Sep 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

Yeah how did you make a dogged gear into a dog?
In reply to Tommyads:

We just borrow him so he's not mine but he is lovely. Attempts at getting him to sit on the chair failed, even with chicken!
 Toccata 16 Sep 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I have seen happier dogs...
 Xharlie 16 Sep 2016
The dog lead idea is a grand one, although I'd make it at least ten times longer and carry the coils. At least brightly coloured climbing rope is visible, unlike those extendable wire abominations that seem to exist for the purpose of garotting cyclists.

EDIT: I also like the pot stands. I have a proper stack of IKEA ones that mostly get deployed when serving roasts or curries to guests but they have no character at all.
Post edited at 12:47
Bogwalloper 16 Sep 2016

I like the Edelrid video but how can I print the template off?

Cheers,

Wally
Another use for waist belt, if you have a dog, is you can wear that with or with out gear loops and use the tie in loop to attach your dog lead to, particularly useful for runners who often buy waist belts for taking their dogs out so freeing up the hand/arms.
 LeeWood 16 Sep 2016

A good article and something which should be of concern to us all - including the gear mfr supply chain. I feel a definite pressure not to turnover old goods too quickly - and never because 'just there's something new' - knowing that this increases my planetary footprint - so having valid uses for retured items is v improtant.

At present however a fair number of ropes have been retired. Old harnesses are kept for learners on the slack end, as are helmets and chalkbags. Older heavier krabs are used for tree-surgery as are slings. And I'm still using Superatz & Canyon rockboots - resoled many times.
 ctodd 16 Sep 2016

clearly this is an important issue.

it would be likely more useful if UKC actually formed some networks to re-use old kit productively.

could this happen?
 David Sz 21 Sep 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:
More rope mat instructions and a pattern of the pdf here http://www.edelrid.de/en/rope-mat/

Looks fun
Post edited at 14:23
 galpinos 21 Sep 2016

I like the rope mat and mug/pot coasters but the rest are a bit ridiculous.

galpinos 22 Sep 2016
In reply to David Sz:
What size is the template to be printed at though? Looks like it's have to be A2 minimum, probably A1?

(Edited as I'd put A3 but just checked the dimensions of the board required......)
Post edited at 09:14
 todness 07 Oct 2016

I made a fly screen for the back door - a length of broom stick with grooves and 4 metre lengths of rope draped over, secured with cable ties - it works, to my surprise

Chris Harris 07 Oct 2016

Old Hexes make a great weapon to batter people who use words like "repurpose".

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:

It's pretty big. Forms the back of the edelrid rope sales tag/instructions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...