UKC

The white tri-cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 21 Sep 2016
Does anyone use one? If so, where does it come in handy?

I wondered because I was climbing some quarried limestone recently, and found a few shot holes that I was unable to protect (but so desperately wanted to). The pink tri-cam was just too big so I thought maybe the white one would do the job?
 Adam Long 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

No, you want the size down from pink, which is the black one. Much as I love tricams I've not convinced myself the even smaller white is worth buying.
 d_b 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I have one that I have placed about twice and has been sitting in my gear box for the last couple of years. Do you want it?
OP SenzuBean 21 Sep 2016
In reply to Adam Long:

> No, you want the size down from pink, which is the black one. Much as I love tricams I've not convinced myself the even smaller white is worth buying.

Ah sorry you're correct. I had remembered it was the white one was the next size down.

Have you found the black tricam useful?
OP SenzuBean 21 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I have one that I have placed about twice and has been sitting in my gear box for the last couple of years. Do you want it?

The white one? It sounds like I might be after the black one
 d_b 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Yeah, the white. I found that it didn't inspire confidence and I would rather place a small nut, a ball nut or just run it out instead of faffing around placing it.

I haven't tried the black.
 Adam Long 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Have you found the black tricam useful?

Yeah. I tend to just carry black, pink, red. Any bigger and you can often get a cam in.

dagibbs 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I own and have placed both little white and big white. I've fallen on little white, was mildly surprised that it held -- it isn't rated very high.

But, if you're looking for just-smaller-than-pink, you really want black, not white.
 andrewmc 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I have the Evo set which is black, pink, red, brown. I place the black fairly often.
OP SenzuBean 21 Sep 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> I have the Evo set which is black, pink, red, brown. I place the black fairly often.

Interesting - sounds like I should get the black then. Such a shame they don’t do the evos in dyneema though.
 BAdhoc 21 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

If there's been no takers for this I'm interested!
 charley 21 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

There was a time that the white tricam was always on my rack. Placed it so many times over the years, mainly on grit. Seems to be perfect for placements that no other gear would fit.
 d_b 22 Sep 2016
In reply to BAdhoc:

None so far. Drop me a mail with your address and I will stick it in the post if I can find it.
 andrewmc 22 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Dyneema tricam weights:
0.5 29g
1.0 35g
1.5 49g
2.0 55g

Evo tricam weights:
0.25 17g
0.5 29g
1.0 37g
1.5 57g

The equivalent Evo tricams are, at most, up to 2g heavier than the Dyneema tricams - given that the Dyneema tricams only have 2 placements instead of 3 (not that I've ever actually placed them that way) I'm not really sure what the point of them is.
OP SenzuBean 22 Sep 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:
> Dyneema tricam weights:

> 0.5 29g

> 1.0 35g

> 1.5 49g

> 2.0 55g

> Evo tricam weights:

> 0.25 17g

> 0.5 29g

> 1.0 37g

> 1.5 57g

> The equivalent Evo tricams are, at most, up to 2g heavier than the Dyneema tricams - given that the Dyneema tricams only have 2 placements instead of 3 (not that I've ever actually placed them that way) I'm not really sure what the point of them is.

Nothing to do with weight.
It's partially strength (I believe the dyneema ones tip out stronger), and the heads are anodized and thus look very pretty.
But you're right re the placement options, and it is upsetting that both can't be had in one unit.
Post edited at 17:34
In reply to SenzuBean:

It's been said already, but I also carry black, pink, red. It's usually the pink that goes in. Sometimes you need the black. Red only really gets used if I've already placed that cam.
 BAdhoc 22 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks, replied!
 springfall2008 23 Sep 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Small tri-cams do sometimes fit where you can't place a cam due to the smaller head size - I must admit I haven't placed mine more than a few times but sometimes it is the only gear you can place
 BAdhoc 26 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thank for posting, I received an empty envelope with a hole in it today.

I have a feeling my postman is a climber!

Cheers anyway.

OP SenzuBean 26 Sep 2016
In reply to BAdhoc:

> Thank for posting, I received an empty envelope with a hole in it today.

> I have a feeling my postman is a climber!

> Cheers anyway.

Oh dear! I once had some RPs not turn up in the post for what I guess was a similar reason.
 d_b 26 Sep 2016
In reply to BAdhoc:
That's a bit crap! Sorry about that.

The lady at the post office did look at me very suspiciously when I said the envelope contained climbing equipment.
Post edited at 18:05
 BAdhoc 26 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

No worries, thanks anyway! Maybe karma will make him trip over his shoes laces
 drsdave 01 Oct 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Yep used one or rather my mate did, and it worked. Best used in horizontal breaks, cracks or in pockets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...